Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD bodies

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HuskerBlazer, Sep 27, 2001.

1. HuskerBlazer

HuskerBlazer 1/2 ton status

Hey 2-Wheel Gurus,

I've got a line on a 72 2WD. However, the body is trash. If I found a 4X body, what differences am I looking at? I'm guessing they are cxompletely interchangeable. One difference I would guess would be the tranny-tcase bulge on the 4X floor. Anything else I may have to look for?

K-5...Soccer moms inquire within.

2. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

67-72 is not my specialty, but the tranny hump will be the only difference.

Chris Lucas
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.captkaoscustoms.com>http://www.captkaoscustoms.com</a>

3. blazin79

blazin79 Registered Member

I believe the tranny hump will be the only difference! You may consider swapping in the 2wd running gear instead of swapping the whole body.

74 2wd Jimmy bagged on 18s

4. HuskerBlazer

Just curious, but why would you think it would be easier/better to swap in the 2WD running gear into a 4X4? Wouldn't it be a major PIA to redo the front end from 4WD to the 2WD?

5. blazin79

the front end swap is not that hard, it is not a direct bolt-in, but anyone with a little mechanical knowledge can get it done. you do have to drill some holes, but other than that it is pretty much straight forward. In the back if you use the leaf springs from the 4x4 you can change the front spring hanger and flip the rear end to get it low. I assume you do want it low, right?

6. HuskerBlazer

Well haven't really thought about that far ahead [​IMG] Definetly want it lower but probably not the slammed in the weeds look. Maybe somewhere in the 2-6 inch range. Stylish yet really functional. I want something I can drive and not necessarily worry about every little bump in the road. Love the look, but when I've ridden in trucks that low, I just think it's not for me. I dunno, can't really explain it. [​IMG]

So anyways, couldn't you flip the leafs on the 2WD? Are they that much different? What about switching leafs (4WD to 2WD frame) if they are that different?

So many questions, but I haven't ever lowered one of my rides, so you know how it goes.

7. blazin79

which leaf springs you use is reall up to you, I don't know if they are different or not. but you will probably want to flip the rearend on top of the springs, or it will be way up in the air. The front spring hanger is the main difference in the rear suspensions. The 2wd hanger is much shorter than the 4wd one.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok, here is my knowledge on this, I don't know for sure on the blazers but on the trucks 2wd's have trailing arms in the back and use coil springs. 4x's have leaf spring. the body the best I know should be the same on both models I don't believe they made 2 different bodies but I could be wrong, if anything is different it is like they said and it would only be the tranny hump. As for the frame, I can't promise but I would think the frame rails would be the same, if this is the case you can unbolt the crossmember fully loaded if you choose to do so and bolt it back up to the new frame. If your going from 4x to 2wd you may also look at the possiblity of upgrading your front suspension. The 73-87 front crossmember is a direct bolt in installation with the exception of 2 holes you have to drillout. Should be like 14 bolts or so. On the rear if you go with a leaf setup, flipping the axle to the top of the springs generaly will give you about a 6" drop. But like I started with I can't back that up without being for sure on the 2wd setup on blazers.

hope some of this rambling helps.
    Les

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

No trailing arms were used on Blazer/Jimmys....leafs only.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

10. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

OK here goes... I'm in the middle of a 70 Jimmy 4x4 conversion to 2wd. The 2wd Jimmys/Blazers were rear coil/trailing arm. If you have leafs on a 2wd it's been converted and not original. I would swap the body because a Jimmy/Blazer on an original 2wd frame is worth significantly more money in most areas of the country. If you go with the crossmember swap, don't forget you need to swap brake lines and the power steering box too. It is pretty much a bolt on with some drilling out. The tranny hump will depend on the tranny in the 2wd. Some had the high hump. The ones I've seen are bolt on and easily found at the junk yard. Good luck and remember, it's gonna take twice the time and twice the money you estimated no matter which way you go. It's all worth it!

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window