Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD box vs. 4WD box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by purple89jimmy, Mar 5, 2002.

1. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

After a lot of steering repairs, I have looked at a lot of steering boxes. I notice that the housing of the 2wd boxes look the same as the 4wd box, but that the pitman shaft is splined differently for the different pitman arm of a 2wd. Everyone here says that you need a 2wd box for crossover steering, but I can't figure out why. Couldn't you take the pitman shaft of a 2wd and put it in a 4wd box? Or is the turning radius also different? Just want to know what the real difference is. Thanks guys. (and gals).

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

my friend said they turn in different ways.

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Yes you can take a 2wd pitman shaft and put it in a 4wd box. As long as they have the same lock to lock turning ratio. I.E. 3.25 turn or 4.25 turn. (they have different teeth)
    Also if you are going to get a new box then you need to be care full because some of the car boxes did turn in the opposite direction. As long as you get one off of a pickup you will be OK.

4. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

I just bought a new 4wd box out of necessity, but i would like to eventually convert to crossover and was just wondering if I could use my box with a 2wd shaft.

5. A&P

A&P Registered Member

I am almost positive that the 2wd boxes turn the exact opposite direction. Just my $.02

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes you can. I am getting ready to do crossover soon. I am waiting for the parts to come in from Rockstomper. I am also planning hydro assist but that is a few weeks off so I am going to swap the shaft in the box and send the donar 2wd box out to be modified for the hydro assist. Reason I am doing that is because I only want to pull the box off the frame once.