Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD Burb 4WD K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84zz4ss, Jan 21, 2005.

1. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an 86 Burb 2wd. I may shotly have an 85 K5 for parts. What would be involved in making the Burb 4WD? Are the frames substantially different? Thanks guys.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Might be okay to do -- but it will be a lot of work.

You'll need to tear off the whole IFS setup off the Burb; you may need to drill the Burb frame to match the Blazer.

Note that if your Burb is a 3/4 ton you'll have to switch some parts to upgrade to 8 lug.

You should be able to drop the Blazer's steering box, axle, springs, and mounts all onto the Burb. Expect to replace some stuff, like the spring bushings (hint: poly rocks!), and do the brakes while you're in there.

Also note you'll need a transfer case, and the Burb's 2WD tranny will have the wrong tailshaft (it's got a yoke for a driveshaft, not splines for a t-case.) You'll therefore need to tear apart/rebuild the tranny or at least switch it for a 4WD style.

Or do a divorced t-case setup, which you have the wheelbase for, but is more work.

IF you have the donor vehicle (i.e. the Blazer) right next to the target (Burb), this could be fun. Gonna be work though.

-- A

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

to bad you dont live closer my friend has 2 burb frames he is going to get rid of soon. 1 is 1/2 ton just frame and the other is 3/4 roling frame all parts there 8 lug late 70s vintage.

remove all ifs 2x4 parts. fill all holes and grind smoth . take all 4x4 parts off doner frame. mark all holes and parts spots . drill with 7/16 bit and use 7/16 bolts or if possible and willing rivits. reatach and put together as stated above with 4x4 tranny and tcase. all other parts like brakes are the same and steering is same box bolt patern and will do diect bolt on. no mods there.

lots and lots of work. better off getting a 4x4 burb frame and just switch the body. if you have a friend with 2 post car lift it will pick body off perfect if set correctly, and just rool 1 frame out and roll other back in and set back on and put together. much easyer prefered way!!!!!!!!!!

did this with my curent truck 2x4 body on 4x4 frame. had to do body lift tho to clear the 81-up 2x4 short floor pan tho. 1 1/2" -2" will do it .

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

What about if you have a 2wd Sub, and the front half of a 4wd Sub frame.... Cut and Paste (measure and weld)???

5. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

str8 axles

I have a buddy that does this all the time.. Just like when u see the fellas on here and the put the 52" springs up front and have to move the front leaf springs rear hanger by drilling a hole.. Well you do the same thing. You can use the front leaf springs front perches from the K5 and put them on the sub. Theholes should even be there but if not drill em out.. u will need the steering box from the K5 along with all the transfer case goodies. park the 2 trucks side by side or face to face and transfer all ur measurements from the k5 to the sub.

Good luck

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

IMHO you would be a lot better off swapping the 4x4 parts to the 2wd frame. frame will stay intact and stronger that way.

7. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks to all. Cutting or replacing the frame are not options for me.

Scott

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The 2wd sub assembly is a complete bolt off. The motor will have to be suported of removed. The motor mounts on the 2wd sit on the 2wd cross member.

Once the 2wd stuff is off then you will need to either spread the frame enough to get the 4x4 crossmember in or make a new cross member. Most of the parts will bolt on once you get the parts off the other frame. The parts are riveted so get a grinder or find a torch to use.

The rear spring mounts are also different. 4wd has a taller mount to make it sit higher. The easy thing to do is run a 2 inch lift block to compinsate.