Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD Cab - Grafted in a 4x4 Hump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by merc359, Sep 17, 2006.

1. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Hi,

I am working on a long term project and ended up needing graft a 4x4 hump and cap into a 2WD cab. Talk about a p.i.t.a

The link below will take you to the "cab restoration" page of my site I a putting together. There are a couple of other jobs that are documented with photos as well, but the 4x4 hump grafting went well and is under the "cab restoration" section.

My only concern is how far back the hump comes in a normal 4x4 cab. I didn't have one that I could loo at once I threw the old one away so I don't know if the hump I installed will clear. Does the truc 4x4 hump extend back beyond the seat? If so, I might have some more fabricating to do...

http://www.rednecktoysonline.com/Trucks%20Main/Chevy%20Resto/Chevy%20Resto%20Index.htm

Let me know what you think....

Merc359

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're welcome to come take a few measurements off of my truck anytime. That is an area of my body that hasn't been molested so far... :D

Rene

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That sounds like a discussion for the lounge, or maybe the PigPen. Molesting bodies indeed... :haha:

And as for your work, merc359 ... wow. You're brave, and industrious, and she's looking good! Now, '78 I think is the first year of the new floor style, so my '74 isn't quite the same. However, here she is:

http://www.slosh.com/dremu/bedline-interior-1.JPG

http://www.slosh.com/dremu/bedline-interior-2.JPG

-- A

4. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Hey,

That is exactly what I needed to see. Those pics helped a lot.

I know the K5 cab body bottom is slightly different than the short-box chevy design, but it is pretty close. I might have to extend the "tunnel," but I think I may be ok. I was out there today and had the cab suspended over the t-case and frame and sat there eye-balling it, and it looks pretty damned close. I just used this crazy old-school engine hoist that my 86 year old grandfather made to pull his truck engine back in the 70's. It might look like a freak show, but it is pretty strong. It is braced off of two trees. Yes...trees:crazy: ... a pair of Douglas Firs, and I hoisted the entire truck off the ground at one point. Anyways, I hoisted the cab over the frame and it looks like it'll just fit.

I know the "hump" is going to be fine. The question is how far back the increased hump on the 4x4 goes compared to that the of the 2WD.

I guess at the end of the day this is pretty simple fabrication. Sheet metal isn't all that bad to work with (IF it isn't rusted out - a HUGE "if" on these years of truck).

Thanks for the photos, and trusktyk5, you know I am within geographic range to pop over. I might just take you up on that offer. Though, after seeing your rig I might wait until I have questions pertaining to axles and suspension before I burn off those favours! :D

Thanks. Merc359

5. tRustyK5

LOL, c'mon over anytime Rowan!

I did take a couple of measurements tonight. The opening in the floor on my K5 is 20", and the hump in the floor continues rearward for another 18" after that.

Rene

6. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I want to make sure I have this written down correctly. The opening in the floor is 20" and then the "tunnel" continues rearward (from the rear-most edge of the opening) by another 18 inches? Hmmm....

Wait a second. I also have a 3" body lift. That might be enough clearance now that I think about it. Oh well, time will tell.

7. tRustyK5

Yes, you have it right. The 3" body lift should help a lot, because the tunnel gets progressively shallower as it goes rearward.

Rene

8. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Awesome. I found a few pics of a 4x4 hump from a blazer and a truck and I'm pretty sure it'll work out ok at this point.

9. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

With a 3 inch body lift you dont need to change the tunnel and if your runnning a 208 tranfers case i think it clears stock. I ran into these probems when I put a 86 2wd cab on my 84 shortbox.

10. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

I am running the 205 transfer-case so I suspect it'll be even less of an issue especially since there is the lift.

What is awesome is that I don't think I needed to change the tunnel at ALL and likely did that just so that I can have the shifter in the right spot and the easy-access, removable cap that 4x4 cabs have. It might be a rather overkill job given than the lift would have cleared it anyways, but I'd rather have it looking as close to "normal" as possible in there as I have to pass a vehicle inspection....

11. tRustyK5

Aack, you're truck has an outstanding VI? :doah:

Rene

12. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

Yup.....(insert Huge thumbs down here)....

The door knob that sold it to me mouthed off at a cop and he slapped it with a VI due to some suspicious fender work (used a saw to cut back the fenders - looks like a chainsaw).

Take a look at the truck when I got it at:

http://www.rednecktoysonline.com/Trucks%20Main/Chevy%20Resto/Chevy%20Resto%20Index.htm

I updated the site yesterday with a ton of 3 year old "before" shots back before all the fun began. Note the awesome fender work. You will notice on the "frame restoration" section that most of the stuff on it is stock application until the VI is cleared.

I am not that worried about the VI actually. The lord works in mysterious ways;)

13. tRustyK5

There are a few 4x4 friendly places that do VI's, check either of the local boards. Sounds like you already know someone though. Seems every VI story I hear starts with someone getting lippy with the cop that just pulled them over...or their truck is such a major POS the guy doesn't have much choice.

You've seen my truck, it's not technically street legal and yet I drive it a ton around here and have never had a problem with the cops. I do drive it sanely, I do keep it clean and the few times I have been pulled over I stay polite.

Last time I went through a road block the cop mentioned my tires stick out way too far (~5" past the body...:crazy: ) and that 3/4" was the max legally. I acted surprised to hear that, and after assuring him everything else worked he sent me on my way without even a warning.

With the new springs under the truck i might get pro-active and chuck some mudflaps on it though. If you look like you're making an effort they tend to leave you alone.

Rene

14. merc359

merc359 1/2 ton status

I agree. It is the wing-nuts and bone-heads that start lipping off and telling cops that they, "should be out chasing real criminals instead of harassing guys that have 4x4s." That always goes over well!

Wait a second, that is what the guy that sold me my truck did..... Then again, with those ghetto-trimmed fenders, smacked up front grill, open header exhaust, and rust galore, I don't think the cop had much choice.

Like you said, drive sane, act polite, and avoid comments involving pork products. They generally don't WANT to make trouble for us.

That said, I can't believe you drive that rig around Surrey. Awesome. I picture you trying to parallel park that bad boy and it makes me giggle.

15. tRustyK5

I hit more curbs and stuff with our mini-van than I ever have with my Jimmy. The Jimmy I 'know' where my tires are a lot better even though it's a lot higher and bigger.

Around town is no big deal, the freeway ain't no big deal...the real fun is driving it on the Patullo bridge.

Rene

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Two questions,

1) 'Splain to this Kalifornian what the heck a "VI" is and means.

2) Let's say I wanted to put a transfer case under a 2wd cab. Ignoring the shifter issue it looks to me like it might clear. Am I close?

17. tRustyK5

LOL, a 'VI' is a vehicle inspection order. There are a few variations depending on how bad the officer judges the vehicle to be. Common is a "box 1 VI" which allows you to drive away and gives you 14 days to present the vehicle to a provincial inspection place for a top to bottom inspection. Once 14 days passes you're insurance is no longer valid and you cannot insure it again until it passes the inspection.

The cringe factor is so many vehicle inspectors interpret the regulations differently. Some inspectors won't pass anything that has been modified, some will use common sense. Either way the inpsection costs $250 and chances of passing the first time are slim unless you do what Rowan is doing...rebuild everything close to stock and leave no bolt unturned.

Rene