Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd Crew cab to 4x4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bookshelf, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Bookshelf

Bookshelf Registered Member

OK, the only reason I'm even thinking about this is I want to build a crew cab Cummins 4x4 single wheel, and I currently have a complete 92 Dodge W250 donor truck. I can't seem to find any 4x4 SRW crew cabs at all, but there are at least a dozen 2 wheel drives out there. I'd be putting a lift on anyway and would like to use my Dodge axles and the complete Cummins/NV4500/205 out of that truck also. My main questions are the frame and suspension, does a 2wd truck have the same frame as a 4x4? Are the holes already there for the leaf spring hangers? What about the rear suspension, same as a 4x4, just shorter ride height? Thanks for any help, I've searched and can't find what I need.-Nick

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The 2wd and 4wd frames are different. Leaf springs holes in front are a different pattern inside the box mount for the front clip. No L bracket so no L bracket holes and then no holes on the bottom of the frame for the actual spring bucket.

Rear of the front spring, No holes for the Shackle eye hanger at all and the frame is wider at this point then a 4x4 chassis so the frame would have to be notched back a smidgeon. NO biggie, the factory did it.

Engine crossmember is extremely different. It won't swap out either. This leaves you whacking the spring buckets off and dealing with the low hanging huge azz 2wd crossmember or doing something cutom or last option would be to swap in a 4wd crossmember. The last option has you drilling alot of holes and turning that portion of the frame into swiss cheese.

Transmission crossmembers may well be different but I can't remember for sure how that all went together. OH< and haven't gotten that far yet but should be a big deal either way.

Drive shaft hangers are in a different location if that matters.

Front spring bucket of the rear springs is shorter on a 2wd frame, so, overall the 2wd truck will sit lower than the 4wd with the same springs. Bolt pattern is all wrong in my experience to do a transplant.

That just about covers it if memory serves.

It is doable but it is a bit of work.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

FWIW that entire front suspension clip will unbolt with about 8 bolts, leaving you with clean bare frame rails. wouldnt be all that hard to drop a 4x4 crossmember in there, providing the frames are the same height. on 1/2 and 3/4 tons, this should work. never messed with a pair of 1 tons though. :dunno: