Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd front end to 8

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BadK-30, Oct 1, 2006.

1. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

ok bare with me i dont really know the terminology but what i want to do is swap in a 14 bolt into my c10. I dont want to look like a fool and was wondering if 1ton front end parts would bolt up to my c10 ifs. I read that you could but wasn't sure because frankly i have no clue what he said :haha: If anybody could give me a yes or no answer and tell me if i need something special for it to work would be awesome.

sorry if that doesn't make any sense :doah:

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

are we talkin about swapin 5 to 8 lugs?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, you'd hafta switch the rotors and hubs -- err, they may be one unit -- at the least. Maybe bearings and if you're unlucky, spindles and backing plates and calipers. Post up what year the C10 is, and I may haev a parts book I can check compatibility for ya.

I did this on my dually, had to convert it to the big-momma Bendix calipers to do DRW. Worth it, mind you, but I had to swap everything from the spindles out. Anyway, yoru case is different, but certainly doable.

Note you won't get higher weight capacity without also changing springs, etc, so you're just gonna have a 1/2-ton with 8 lugs. Which is not a bad thing... but don't go towing a tank with it :)

-- A

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

personally, if i were going to attempt such a swap, i'd get a whole parts truck. unbolt the entire front suspension crossmember, and bolt it into your truck. out back, you'll have to swap the spring hangers if you're running a 1 ton rear. personally, i'd go with a 3/4 ton setup with a 14FF, it'd all be a direct bolt in, unless you're swapping spring lengths in the rear and you'd have to move the rear hanger around (the holes should already be there)

5. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

I did this with my Brother's truck. (86 C10)

you have to change EVERYTHING from the control arms out... and the studs which the upper control arms mount to are larger, so they need to be changed (which basically requires the engine to be out of the vehicle, or you drop the front cross member) Look at were those studs are to get an idea what you are in for...

you also pretty much need to add 3/4ton brake booster and master cylinder... or you wont stop in time if you have wieght in it.

6. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

ouch this sounds like more time consuming then i thought, i was hoping to swap out the lugs and be done haha. The truck is a 1982 c10, custom deluxe if you possibly need it.

thank you very much guys for the reply.