Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd in snow?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RockyRider13, Jan 20, 2003.

1. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

Just wondering how you guys do on the streets when it sonws a lot? ever get stuck? Does an lsd make a difference?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Chains can make a huge difference. Even those stupid cable chains make a big difference.

3. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

around here we get more ice than snow. but in either, i dont really have much of a problem, just stay off the throttle and brakes as much as you can...as far as dont stomp on them..i dont have chains, but i do add 300lbs of sand to the back of my truck. i put it as far back as possible.. usually right up against the tailgate..last year i only got stuck once in a parking spot that had a down slope towards the curb, and only spun out once.. havent had a problem this year... ofcourse it isnt over yet and i probably jinxed myself..... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

i dont know about lsd making a difference.. you might want to try crack..or X or something... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

yes i know what lsd means.....

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I drove my 2wd Van for 5 years in snow ice and I can tell you if you have newish tires and a light foot on the skinny pedal, you should be fine. An early style LSD as in mechanical one would be worse most of the times as long as you are rolling. It could be better when you start losing traction. The newer electronic LSD as in computer controled ones are better than open diffs.
    One more thing, on snow you want a wide footprint, on ice you want a thinner tire.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

vans are actually GREAt for snow, i have found out, had a 79 G20 van that was plain bad ass for snow, never got stuck once ever, had a 81 3/4 ton 2wd that got stuck every 10 seconds in the driveway just trying to get out, was a bitch !, seems that longbeds with automatic trannies do the best out of any others, just dont get nuts with the gas pedal and be very careful braking, lots of pumping action to stop will help, thats how antilock brakes do it.

all terrain tires help alot ! thats whjat ive got on the back of the 81 longfleet c10 and it does not too bad at all on all this snow and ice so far this year,.

put weight in back of truck definitely, my bro's 92 s-10 has 240 lbs of sand in the bed and doing pretty good, hard ot get it going with the 3.42 rear though, likes to slip alot on take-off, the 83 caprice is doing awesome but then ive got tools and a pair of heads in the back of it, hehe it does better than all the others so far. and just passenger radials, if you never hardly drive on real ice or snow and try to ever for once then be careful, once you learn how to youll always know how to drive on it, ive seen soem ppl really screw up around here, usually from down south and such.. NEVEr try to slow down on a turn and never try to change vehicle speed as if you are on dry pavement@!

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah that is why Vans are better than pickups because of the weight on the back. Mine was a conversion van with the bed and captain chairs...
    It was a 79 G20 too.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I finally converted it to 4wd.

7. Sparty

Sparty Registered Member

i used to not like the snow because of the open diff and being really only 1wd. i just re-geared to 4.10's and a detroit locker and now i love driving in the snow. the locker is a world of differece

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

A lsd would make a big difference. I think the stock ones are like a 30% torgue transfer or so. You can get aftermarket ones that have been tightened up also.

9. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

I bought my truck in Michigan- even ran it in the UP for a couple of years- no problem. Even lived in the mtns. of N. Carolina for a couple of years- occasional chain use.

Only got stuck once and 4x4 wouldn't have helped--- road was plowed off-center! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I don't run her in the salt anymore, but she is a great "snow vehicle":
    Florida-- winter of '94-'95
    [​IMG]
    Florida, MI, that is.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good tires and smart driving is the key... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif