Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd on 4wd frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Nov 8, 2004.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

i rolled my truck this weekend, what problems will i run into putting a 2wd on my 4wd frame? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

if you're talking about the body, my understanding is that everything except the transmission tunnel should bolt right up. you need a 4wd tunnel to clear the transfer case, but it doesnt line up exactly with a 2wd cab, so some work is required there

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have never had a 2wd cab that had a removable tunnel. I bought a 4wd truck that had a 2wd cab on it with no body lift and everything was fine. I swapped another 2wd cab onto a different 4wd frame and had to use a body lift. The rear body mounts for the cab were taller on the 4wd frame, so check to see if the rubber mounts on your 4wd are taller than the ones on the 2wd.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Take a look at the tunnel area under the seat. that is the big difference. You can cut a hole where the bolt in cover goes, but the floor is about an inch short at the rear of the cover. I have a 465/205 in mine and had to cut a hole and build a box over the t case to use it with out a body lift.

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

It is entirely doable, and easy. I have a 1980 4wd truck. The original cab was bad, and I replaced it with a 1974 2wd cab. Everything was a straight bolt-in, with the exception of the tranny tunnel floor. My truck is a stock 4 speed, the 2wd cab had an automatic in it. In the 2wd cab, there were indentations of where to cut a hole, large enough so that the removable floor tunnel in the 4wd cab could be transferred to it. Instead of welding nuts on the bottom of the cab for the removable tunnel bolts, I used large sheet metal screws instead. Except for that fact, my job looks factory. Go for it!