Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd pitman arm nut

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by funkycold, Jun 24, 2004.

1. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

i have swapped the steering shaft in the gearbox and need to get the nut for the pitman arm.

Does anyone know what size the nut is? Can i get a standard nut or does it need to be a special nut?

thanks for the help

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

IIRC it is a 7/8" coarse thread.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get yourself a lock washer and if possible a lock nut too. Both me and Matt (the guy posting above) have had that steering arm nut loosen up on us since we did crossover. Even with a lockwasher.

Harley

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get yourself a lock washer and if possible a lock nut too. Both me and Matt (the guy posting above) have had that steering arm nut loosen up on us since we did crossover. Even with a lockwasher.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had the same problem too. Last time I used tread lock and a lock washer and it has held so far.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just put mine back on today after replacing the steering box. I used a 2' long breaker bar to tighten it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'll be double checking now that I know that people have had theres come loose.

How many threads do you guys have sticking out after you tightened the nut? I've only got one or two max.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I check my pitman arm nut every time I change that oil. It's pretty easy to grab a 1 5/16 wrench and make sure it's good and tight. Also, I'm pretty sure it's not 7/8 coarse. I think it is pretty fine, probably a 7/8-14 like a Dana 60 pinion nut. I prefer a locknut over a lockwasher, too.