Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd s-10 6" lift bump steer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

2wd s-10 6\" lift bump steer?

I know this is not a blazer question but I want YOUR guys help. I'm asking this on behalf of my nephew in Westminster CO. He's got a 95 S-10 truck with a 6" Chassie Tech suspension lift and 31" tires. It's red and looks bad ass. Anyway, he's got some pretty good bumpsteer going on and I'm not that familiar with steering geometry of lifted 2wd trucks. How can he correct the bumpsteer?

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: 2wd s-10 6\" lift bump steer?

Was the lift all suspension or 3" suspension and 3" spindles? Is it actual bump steer (where when the wheel goes up and turns with the steering wheel held straight), bad scrub radius (caused by the wheels sticking out too much), or latteral scrub (where the tires want to move out when the truck is bounced)? When there is too much scrub radius about the only thing to do (aside from new wheels) is to install a steering dampener. The other ones depend on the geometry of the suspension and are hard to modify (almost set in stone by GM and the people that designed the lift).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd say the first step should be the addition of a quality stabilizer. After that, probably dial in some more caster.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Is there any kind of dropped steering components? If the angle between the knuckle and the center link is kinda steep it will cause the tie rod to push on the center link while cycleing the suspension rather than ride along it at the same plane. Is that confusing? I hope not.

AH! OK! is the tie rod angled down to the knuckle or is it more or less straight across from the center link to the knuckle?

I dont know if there is a fix for this in the S10 lifts or not if this is the case but I would assume that there is since there is a center link to correct this in IFS F/S 4x4 lifts.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]