Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd s-10 on icy roads wiht no weight=pethetic

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bryguy00b, Feb 3, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

got stuck pulling out of my driveway tonight, half in the street no less, road was to slick and it couldnt pull the front tires from the snow, it was so pethetic, ive only been driving it a couple days now, still getting used to the feeling of driving something twice as light and able to spin out at the drop of a hat lol..some dude in a toyota came buy and snatched on to my bumper for me cause i was block the road /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can always do what I do when it's nasty out- fill the bed with snow. The weight adds up pretty quick, and helps me a lot! I've decided to sacrifice some gas mileage and just leave the snow in there. With no weight and a stick shift, I'll just sit and spin the tires. It sucks!

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i hear ya...my dad is ganna bring some brake drums from the big trucks he works on home to put in the back of it and im ganna throw some sand bags in there to.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Surely someone that lives in Rochester knows about snow tires. Studded snow tires are even better when it's icy. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Of course, that steamin' pile probably has an open diff, making it a 1 wheel drive when the going gets rough. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yes open, and yea i know bout snow tires haha, but i dont feel like shellin out for some /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif some weight will help big time..

and what u callin a steamin pile!? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I drive a Stang to work and when we had that ice and snow storm thatseemed to last forever... that was not a fun time.
    I put 3 drums from semies in the back to sorta help.
    And a posi was a freakin PITA. give it a lil throttle and go sideways, I spent more time lookin out the driver and passenger window than the windshield. and more than a few times just closing my eyes and waiting for it to be over.
    Nothin like going to work and takin it easy and hit a patch of ice and start doing 360's down the hwy.
    Oh and I did have 50 lbs of kitty litter to get going again when I did have to stop. When I finaly did stop.
    The iron I had was to small fer the tires( why see if they fit when ya have 2 rigs that have chains that fit)to bad they were both broke down. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    Stupid ya but what the hey I grew up and learned how to drive in Colorado.
    In any case not fun taking 2 hrs to get home, after 3 days of that I gave it up and called in.
    Kinda funny I made up a set of ice breakers for the K5 and still haven't had a chance to use em.
    Maybe when the next Silver Thaw sets in in 10 years I will get a chance to try em out.