Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd Sm420 info needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMCLegacy, Feb 17, 2003.

1. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

does anyone have pics of a 2wd SM420 in a 67 (or so) model pickup. i am looking to put a 420 in my pickup and have found a tranny out of bus, but the crossmember is tied into the bellhousing, i think this is because the motor mounts on the bus were located differently than on our pickups. It would seem that a lot of weight would be unsupported if the only crossmember is on the bellhousing.

Thanks
    Marc

mrspetos@mtu.edu

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I am not sure about the later models, but the mounts are like that in all '67 - '72 2WD pickups with manual trannies. There is no real tranny crossmember, just frame mounts that tie in to the tabs on the bottom of the bell housing. The tranny just hangs off the back, unsupported.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

hmmm, thanks for the info, i guess if nobody has had issues with the setup, works for me

thanks
    marc

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If you are going to swap 465 for 420 get the bellhousing too.The center hole is diff. size.Traded for one couple weeks ago for LOOONG term 68SS El Camino project.Now I need ind.205 from Ferd .Gotta git 88 done so I can go on wiht 68. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif