Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd sm465 usage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Okay I have been reading that people are using the 2wd version of the sm465 with the 35 spline output in their 4wds. I picked up a 2wd sm465 last night for cheap and I was thinking about putting it in place of my 350 trans. I have found an adapter to bolt 2wd sm465s up to toyota transfer cases but not one to adapt a 2wd sm465 to a 27 spline np205. I thought about just buying a 4wd output shaft for my sm465 but I would still have to buy an adapter to mate it to my 27 spline 205. I know I could just buy a new output shaft and a manual np205 but if anyone knows of someone who makes this adapter I think I would just rather go this route. I looked all over Advance adapters website and catalogue with no luck. I will call them if no one else has any ideas. Is there another manufacture of adapters that might have this setup?

Basically this is what Im trying to do:
    2wd,35spline,sm465 + 27spline np205

Let the flaming commence! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif
    Oh and thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 35 spline output shaft as you call it is actually the mainshaft, which is long and has 35 splines at the end. To get any other sort of output on that tranny you'd need to swap mainshafts...entirely not worth doing on an SM465.

SM465/NP205 combo's are dirt cheap...find one and buy it IMHO.

Rene

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

such a combo is rare depending on where you are, around here i havent seen such a combo for at least three years. not a single one, see th350/203 combos and a couple 203 /th400 combos and 700r4/208 combos and one or two 208/465 one, but not ever any 205 anything for damn long time, long gone

definitely save $ and hassle and time and find 4x4 version 465, they are rare, but 205 is sure never seen anymore.

go here: http://www.offroaddesign.com/NP205tech.htm
    good luck

4. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The 35 spline output shaft as you call it is actually the mainshaft, which is long and has 35 splines at the end. To get any other sort of output on that tranny you'd need to swap mainshafts...entirely not worth doing on an SM465.

SM465/NP205 combo's are dirt cheap...find one and buy it IMHO.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I know about the long mainshaft ones but this one is a short shaft 2wd version.. not the long mainshaft version you are thinking about. I checked around my area and I dont know of any 205 465 combos and since I alredy own these units and know they are in good shape I was hoping that there was an adapter. On Pirate I found a couple of threads that claimed that people were actually buying the 2wd version for its big 35 spline output, which is why Im hoping/thinking that there may be some adapters out there for it other than for toyota transfer cases.
    Thanks for the ideas! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The adaptor probably is the least of your worries, how are you going to make a 35 spline output fit a 27 spline input on your T-case? Good luck finding a 35 spline input gear for the 205...

I see 465/205 combo's here regularly, they are not rare. I would agree that a 465/203 combo is rare...but not a 205 version.

You'll spend 10 times more trying to make that work...

My advice would be to find a 465/208 combo and throw the 208 in the trash. Buy a 32 spline input gear from ORD for your 205, get the case machined for the larger input bearing and bolt it up. The face of the 205 may need to be redrilled to use the 208 adaptor. The combo will be a bit longer than a standard 465/205 combo, but you'll be rid of the weaker 10 spline output/input.

Or...cruise the for sale forum here, or ebay and keep your eyes peeled for a 465/205 combo from an 81 or newer truck. 81 and newer 465's were all 32 spline versions. Unfortunately the 205's only found their way into one ton truck from 81 on up. Most everything else got the 208 or 241 depending on how new.

Rene

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    definitely save $ and hassle and time and find 4x4 version 465, they are rare, but 205 is sure never seen anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT??

I've got two of those "never seen anymore" setups in my garage!

Was at a friend's house today, he has FOUR SETUPS!!!!!

Never seen anymore? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

yeah but he is in IL not some 205 nirvana like you are

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I started to look into using a 2WD 35 spline saft too , but I found that the mating input gear would be to thin when all said and done. It's a good idea and would be EXTREMELY stout but not needed - the ORD 32 spline short mainshaft and the GM long version is plenty strong.

I think the the coupler from 35 to 27 spline would be very thin, and costly, on the tranny side if you used the TH350
    style 205.
    In the end I decided to use what was already offered by GM and the aftermarket and saved the headache/hassel of custom parts making. Good luck in what you decide to do. Tom