Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD steering box for crossover part number?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Oct 4, 2001.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Anyone have the part number for the 2WD steering box? Am planning ahead here and wondered if the number is available or if the particular year is important.........or if asking for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton or 1 ton 2WD box matters. Would think it does..........thanks.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Got mine at autozone 139.99, let me turn in my 4wd box as core (169.00) Just get the same year as your truck and ask for 2wd drive. If the computer doesn't drag up a 2wd K5 just get it for a pickup. All the same boxes, year is important to match up o-ring or flare fittings for hoses.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I bought a 1/2 ton, 2wd box at the salvage yard for $20. Pulled the shaft out of this box and got ready to rebuild my 4wd box (and install the other shaft). Due to time restraints, I found that I could remove the shaft of the 4wd drive box without removing the box from the frame. Slammed the new shaft in and job was done. If your box is in good shape, just swap the shafts out and replace the output seal.

thebigdaddyof2

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You tell 'em BigDaddy - ROCKSTOMPER told me the same thing. I just bought an entire crossover kit from Scott @ ROCKSTOMPER, and he told me not to bother changing the steering box. He went on to tell me that you can just change out the shaft that the Pitman arm connects to. The 2WD and 4WD shafts are interchangable. Go to the junk yard, and tear out a 2WD shaft, and you are looking at no more than $5-$10.

Why change the box if it is still good? Expecially when you are getting the SAME box with a 2WD shaft in it? Don't know about you... but I am getting my shaft from the junk yard and keeping the box that has worked for me all along.

If you call him, do me a favor and tell him Dan sent you. His number is (303) 833 1431.

<font color=red>Just give me a tank, and point me in the right direction!</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>DONT MESS WITH AMERICA!</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Great info, you guys! Had not seen this info anywhere before, glad I asked, and glad you answered!. Makes it rather simple.........

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I got a 2WD box with steering shaft (the one that goes from the colum to the box) for $10 at a swap meet 2 years ago, it's in perfect shape. If you get a junkyard box, pull one of your p/s hoses to see if you have the flare lines or the o-ring ones.

7. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Yeah, when I do another crossover, I'll go to the salvage yard and pull the shaft out of the 2wd box there. Might only pay $5 for the 2wd shaft. Then buy just the output shaft seal @ AZ for $3.

thebigdaddyof2