Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd steering box for x-over

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77ChevyK10, Sep 29, 2003.

1. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

what all do you need out for the 2wd box? i need to know all of it. Thanks

Andrew

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

hope i under stand your ?? correctly
    ya can do it 2 ways
    1 remove power steering fluid lines from box and remove
    pitman arm then remove gear box completly and then bolt up the new 2 wheel drive box then hook up all the special parts
    2 if your a good enough mechanic ya can take just the pitman arm off both gear boxes and the access lid ( dont know the real name for it and then pull just the 1 long piece that the pitman arm was bolted to out the top and then drop in the same part from the 2 wheel box make sure ya put a new seal on the top and Vola you done ( with the gear box anyways ) then hook up all the rest of the extra parts
    P.S. i have a pit man arm and both knuckles machined and taped with block and steering arm for a d44 or gm 10 bolt for sale if your interested
    Randy

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

What is so different about the 2wd and 4wd shafts? Splines? Can anyone give me and andrew (77chevyK10) some help?

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

when going to crossover you need to reindex the pittman arm so it goes from side to side rather than the stock front to back. A 4wd steering box will not allow this, a 2wd steering box will.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

The 4x4 sector shaft is splined about 1/4 of the way around. The rest is not splined, but it is flat on the end with no threads. The pitman arm is held on by a bolt that slides in halfway up the shaft and fits into a groove cut into the shaft. This holds the arm onto the shaft. It allows that pitman arm to only fit the shaft in one direction... so it moves front to back when the wheel is turned. You cant index the arm any other direction, but you wouldnt want to because the arm is bent all funky to allow that stupid setup to work. The 2wd box has a shaft that is splined all the way around, with an index mark so the pitman arm can go on pointing straight back, and move side to side when the steering wheel is turned. The shaft also has threads on the end and a nut that holds the pitman arm onto the shaft. This is how every other vehicle in the free world attaches thier pitman arms. Therefore letting you have many other choices for arm setups, hence the Ford drop arm or whatever other arm will fit for your purposes. I swapped the shafts only from one box to the other. It was very easy, and took about 15 minutes to do once I had the pitman arm off. Apparently any Saginaw style box will be a good donor for the shaft, I got mine from a 79 Jeep J-10 truck 4wd that was mounted on the inside of the frame. The whole box was reversed, but the shaft was the same.
    Hope that answers your questions.
    Mike

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

im goin crossover on my 97 yukon k1500, do i need to swap out the steering box? (being that this a predominantly pre'88 forum, i figgered i oughta ask before i start dumpin money on stuff i dont need...)

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Thumper,

Thanks, that is exactly what Andrew and I were looking for.

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im goin crossover on my 97 yukon k1500, do i need to swap out the steering box? (being that this a predominantly pre'88 forum, i figgered i oughta ask before i start dumpin money on stuff i dont need...)

[/ QUOTE ]

hold up....on a 97 you dont need to swap out the box...its just a matter of changeing the pitman arm.. ORU should have them