Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd steering box help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Feb 1, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Im getting a 2wd steering box for my crossover. Im interested in a variable steering box but I keep hearing about this little electronic box thats supposed to go with it. Anyone know anything about this? Also, prolly should have searched but oh well, if I can get a variable or otherwise to work, are there any years I should look for? Are there differences other than the flare to oring thing?

Thanks in advance

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can build a variable ratio steering gear box without any electronics. You are probably seeing something dealing with a Cadillac, Corvette, or somthing like that. I had an early 90's Chevy 1-ton 2-wheel drive truck, which came from the factory with a variable ratio steering gear box, and that truck handled like a sports car. I am not sure if you want a variable ratio steering box with a truck with big tires, and see's a lot of off roading because variable ratio can take away some of the feel of the road.

3. neverendingproject

what do you mean? This truck will be a trail capable DD that I will take off road, I figured I would get some nice road driving out of it though

4. 1-ton

If it is a DD with tires no bigger than about 38", then a variable ratio steering box will not be a problem. It is just that variable ratio steering boxes where mostly designed to give a vehicle a more sporty feel, which is why trucks where the last in line to come equiped from the factory with variable ratio steering boxes.

5. neverendingproject

Do you knwoo what years they come on? Or am I gonna have to rummage?

6. 1-ton

90's to current 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton two wheel drive Chevy trucks, I think, all have variable ratio steering gear boxes. You can build a non-variable ratio steering gear box to have variable ratio as well. you can go to an auto parts store as well, and buy a rebuilt box, which has variable ratio. All you have to do is tell them that is what you want.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The electronics that you are talking about is the EVO system. Don't confuse that for a variable ratio box. EVO is variable effort, which you could probably retrofit into an older truck but it would be a PITA.

For more EVO info look in the tech section of the forum on my website.