Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd steering box on a 4x4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, May 17, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I am upgrading my truck to a serpentine belt setup, and as a result, I need a power steering box that uses the saginaw o-ring fittings rather than the old style flares.

I've got a steering box on my 80 2wd frame that is in excellent shape. The box has absolutely no play, and has the proper fittings in it already.

Will I be getting myself into trouble if I try and pull the steering box off the 4x4, pull the steering arm off, put it onto the 2wd box, and bolt it back on?

Just seems like the easiest / cheapest / best route to me...

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you cant just pull the pitman arm off, you have to pull the whole sector shaft. other than that its a direct bolt on. IIRC you can just pull the o ring fittings out of the box, but if the 2wd box is in better condition internally, you'd be better off pulling the sector shaft.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Yeah, just swap the sector shafts... it will take abot 10 minutes.

4. Russell

Does anyone have a link to a page with some info about swapping that sector shaft thinger?

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

havent seen a page, but if you take off the pitman arm, then take off the 4 bolts on the top of the box... it just lifts out in one piece

6. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is get a drain pan put under steering box, with the four small bolts facing up unbolt and pull the sector shaft straight out. Watch out for fluid and swap straight into your 2wd box. Before you unbolt the sector shaft obviously unbolt the pitman arm if still attached make sure that the steering box is in center when you pull the shaft.

Jesse

7. Russell

Sounds simple enough. What is the best way for a guy to be sure the box is centered, and get the pitman arm back on straight? Last thing I need is to be able to turn twice as far to the left as to the right, lol