Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd steering box problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 5trucks, Feb 24, 2007.

1. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Put the box on for the x over and installed the ORD brace at the same time. When i went to install the splined thing that connects to the steering shaft ( the piece with the two bolts on it and the collar that keep the shaft locked to the box ) it wont fit. Were there different sizes and if so, how big of a difference? Are the splines the same and can i force the old one on the new box or will that fag it up?

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've never heard of there being two different sizes but i'm not sure. Are you sure you have a 2wd box?

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Yes, there are different ones. If your old box was good, just swap the sector shaft. 4 bolts and you are done. Are your lines on yet? They may be different also.

4. koldsimer

I thought all the 2wd boxes were the 4 spline shaft. What were the differences?

5. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a diagram or instruction manual on how to do it? I already installed the cap from JKW ( nightmare ) and installed the brace from ORD (pita) I dont really want to spend another day doing this unless it is necessary. Yes the box is a 2wd box.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you trying to use the 4WD pitman arm on the 2WD box? If so they are different. You need to buy the correct dropped 2WD pitman arm. The 4WD pitman arms are held onto the sector shaft with a bolt/nut combo and the shaft is only splined part way around, the 2WD pitman arm is held on with a nut/washer from the end and the shaft is splined all the way around in 4 segments.

7. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

No one seems to have read the first post too well. He's talking about the rag joint not fitting. I don't have anything to add, except you guys gave him 5 solutions to a problem he doesn't have. Except the sector shaft swap, that would work, if he wanted to take his junk all apart again.

8. 4X4HIGH

Well, now that you mention it and i've re-read his post....all he needs to do is get the correct splined portion of the rag joint from a wrecking yard and bolt it on then bolt his shaft to it.

9. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Actually i just got a yj/tj pitman arm from wfo that i took a triangle file too so i can mount it in any position on the sector shaft. The rag joint coupling ( metal splined coupling )is what i was refering too. How many different sizes are there?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  10. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

2 - go to any parts house. The "Help" section typically has both rag joints.

11. koldsimer

I need basic reading comprehension skeels.

12. 4X4HIGH

There is only 1 actual rag joint, it is the splined coupler that has 2 different sizes. The rag joint bolts to the splined coupler and then the shaft bolts to the rag joint.

13. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Actually - for the Chevy trucks - there were two different rag joints listed and on the shelf in the "HELP" parts section at an Autozone I was at two weeks ago.

14. 4X4HIGH

If you're looking at the COMPLETE kit then yes, but if only the RAG joint then no.

15. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Damn that's freaking weird. I just ran into the EXACT same problem yesterday with my crossover/60 axle swap project. I was putting in a '74 2wd box I ordered from Napa to replace my '74 4wd box and input shaft diameter at the rag joint is almost 2mm different(bigger) I also had a rag joint of my '90 V3500 and that didin't fit either. Only other year breakout is 77-79 according to ORD the ragjoint is different, but don't know if they meant the actually ragjoint of the splined coupler? Also my old box had a small nipple sticking out of the center of the input shaft and the new box did not. Anyone got any ideas:( :( :(

16. 4X4HIGH

Over the years as these steering box's have been rebuilt a number of times the input (rag joint end) steering shaft has been swapped around so you may end up getting a box with the correct fluid line hook up but the wrong shaft diameter for the rag to hook up or vice versa.

17. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Well, i went to napa,checker,autozone and pep boys and all carried the rag joint but none can even get the coupling. Guess i'll have to hit the yard.

18. 4X4HIGH

I can get you a part number in the morning for both complete units. By complete i mean it has the splined piece and the rag joint attached to it.

19. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Ok guys! WTF is wrong with all these parts i keep getting. I swapped the sector shafts and of coarse the sector shaft wont fit. The 4wd shaft has one flat tipped tooth in the middle and one sharp tipped tooth on each end. The 2wd shaft has three flat tipped teeth. When i put the shaft in the damn thing wont turn. Shouldnt these all be the same? Also, the damn gear in the 2wd box fell out and ball bearings went every where. How can i salvage this?

20. 4X4HIGH

There is a standard ratio box and a variable ratio box. You need to replace the sector shaft with the same kind. If all the 24 steel balls fell out and you have no experience with rebuilding the steering box then you better go get yourself another box. How did you manage to get the steel balls to fall out? Those are located in the rack nut and unless you removed the end cover and rotated the steering shaft they should not come out.