Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD Steering Box Question for Crossover Steering Setup

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therobzilla, Apr 5, 2002.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

OK,

Here is the question, does anyone or has anyone replaced the 4wd steering shaft out of a 4wd box into a 2wd box, and if so, where did you get the 2wd shaft from?

Second question, will a 2wd steering box from a 73 or later 2wd GM or Chevy truck work on a 72 first gen blazer?

Or will a Ford 2wd steering box work on a 72 chevy first gen blazer?

Exploring my options for the crossover steering setup.

I already have the milled passenger side knuckle, and the steering arms for both sides, now I have to come up with the 2wd box and the heim joints, and the tubing to finish the setup. The 2wd box from Adanced is $160.00 and I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

I saw a bunch of 2wd 73 and later boxes at the junk yard last weekend, but I am not sure if they will work, and or if the Ford boxes will work.

Anyone have any answers?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Robzilla

2. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't have an answer for you on your specific question, but in order to use a 4wd steering box for a crossover system, I was thinking of modifying a spare drop pitman arm I have to fit the 4wd box but have the alignment 90 degrees off. It seems from looking at the sector shaft and pitman arm, that the pitman arm can be filed in a couple spots so it can be mounted sideways. It should still be pretty strong. If it doesn't work, all I've wasted is a pitman arm that I'm not using anyway. See ya.
    JT

3. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I used a 2wd steering box from a 1987 3/4 ton p/u, it worked good for me.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

67-87 boxes interchange. The only change was between metric and standard hose fittings. I used a box from a 72 c10 on my 79 k10. It fits fine.