Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD steering box w/hydroboost from a diesel....good foundation?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Feb 14, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

At a local salvage there is an 80's 2WD diesel with hydroboost brakes. Would this be a good foundation for crossover steering and better braking power? I have heard the fittings on steering boxes vary depending on year model, so could this be a problem? Also, to be able to hook up the hydroboost steering pump from the diesel to my gas 350, I've heard you need a power steering bracket from a hydroboost gas engine for it to bolt up, true? Or would hydroboost brakes be too much of a hassle with 35's-37's?

Thanks
    Ross

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The metric/SAE fitting business changed around '80. 6.2 diesels didn't start until 82 or 83, so they're metric, and so is your 88.

Nothing special about the steering box. Luckily Saginaw pumps are all very similar. You should be able to put the diesel pump on the 350 bracket. The only thing that makes a hydroboost pump different is the extra return-line. If the pump and bracket don't separate, you need a puller to take off the pulley. (not a 3-jaw, there's a proper puller for this).

Since the hydroboost will fit either steering box, you have the choice of doing crossover steering or hydroboost first /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif