Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd Steering Box & Which ford pitman arm?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyhs, Jun 10, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Which ford pitman arm do you use on a Chevy 2wd steering box. I have to buy a new box so I would like to start getting set up for a crossover. Will a 2wd box and ford pitman arm work for my stock steering?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

"Will a 2wd box and ford pitman arm work for my stock steering?"

that is a good question.
    the tie rod taper in the arm is too small for stock draglink end. it will fit the tie rod end.
    so depending on what ends you want to use in your cross over(I like the high angle draglink application ones) it may be jury rigged into kinda working, though the tie rod end would be at a bad angle in the stock push pull steering.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get any aftermarket drop pitman arm for a '78-'79 Ford F150. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

MJ's got it dead on. I've got a 2WD box and pitman arm from an early 80's Ford Van. Big beefy arm with about 3" of drop. Perfect for swinging under the frame for x-over. However, the DLEs need a bigger hole so I had to get a friend to ream out the taper a bit. Cost me $6. The 2WD steering sector shaft is indexed for 4 locations so, yes, you could put the Ford pitman in place for a stock front-back drag link, as long as you open up the hole.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

what you want for crossover steering is Superlift part #1104, which is for a lifted Jeep fullsize (Wagoneer, etc.) The ford arm has too small a taper to use with Chevy tie rod ends...you can ream them though.

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

If I get this Superlift part I can use it with a 2wd box and my stock front to rear steering?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Are you saying it won't work because the tapered hole for the DLE will be in the wrong plane? Or because the tapers are not the same?

BTW, earlier I responded that I thought it would work with the pitman arm indexed 90 degrees to the input shaft. However, after thinking some more, I think I missed one crucial point when coming to that conclusion. The 4x4 pitman arms have a roughly 30 twist where the DLE attaches so that the DLE will be neutral to the drag link itself. If you try to use a 2WD pitman indexed out, the pitman arm DLE will be cocked up and down travel will be severely limited. They tolerate high degrees of miss-alignment but, I think it would cause damage even on moderate driver’s side axle droop...

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am curious how the pitman arm is indexed to the shaft. I under stand that the 4wd can only go on 1 way and the 2wd can be rotated in 90* incriments...
    But how are the splines aranged to do this?
    Is the shaft "missing" a spline
    Or is the shaft have a spline that is left "un-cut"?

If the 2nd case is true would you be able to grind off 3 more splines in the pitman arm and still be able to use the stock pitman arm with a 2wd box?

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

2 wdr one has 4 slots (kinda half full half empty here, are they uncut or cut)
    I dont have both styles here in front of me BUT
    IIRC
    they are 2 completely different animals.
    4wdr has notch to clear clamp bolt
    2wdr is tapered with large nut on threaded shaft
    4wdr has 1 large slot
    2wdr has 4 small slots
    others will have to step up with the real facts

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

wrong plane? I think we are on the same page here.
    the taper is simple matter to work with but the twist is the killer. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

12. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Here are the splines on my 2wd agr box [​IMG]

and here the drop pitman arm from ORD [​IMG]
    hope this helps.

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thanks,
    now we just need 4wdr to complete the set!

14. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I think I'll have to just use a stock box until I can afford all of the parts at once to do the cross over. Right now is a bad time to be tearing into the Sub anyway, I'm about to close escrow on my first house!