Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd steering gear box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Dec 25, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Went to some junk yark yesterday to find a steering box, The problem is around here the motor is allready pull and the P/s line going to the box are removed. Heres the problem, all the boxxes had water in them due to no hood and rain. Do I just buy one purge the water out and call it good, or should I find one that does not have water in it?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have a 2wd shaft you can put in your 4x4 box, do you want it ? all you have to do is swap, remove the pitman arm and the copver bolts and the shaft will come pout the top and then you can put in the 2wd shaft and put cover and 2wd pitman arm on /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif in yards you should be abvle to fiond billions of 68-87 2wd boxes complete and under hoods blazers burbs pickup 2wd, tons of them and should be real cheap price too.

it sound slike yards near you are dumb and dont know how to put hood back on vehicles in order to not ruin parts that they could sell ?

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Most of the yards around here don't even have Chevy pickups because most of them are still running or at least being used as plow vehicles. Once in a while I find one but it's usually stripped by the time I get to it.

R72K5- I PM'd you earlier this month about a 2wd steering shaft, if you come across more keep me in mind /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My x-over steering is in the mail and the lack of that piece is going to keep me sidelined for a while /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Rob, hi, ok oops my bad, hard to keep track of that kind of stuff, sorry, ive got like 50 differetn poarts wanted things and sometimes i do manage to find out who was asking for what when i come across parts they been looking for, yeah its yours if you want it, the part i need the most right now is the drivers side TRE for 81-87 K10 K20 trucks, i have pic of what i need if you want to see if you have one ? my truck is down until i find one, i cant afford to buy a new one, even with only being 29.95 in LMC /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

being jobless is for the birds.....

sound sliek yards down there are no good ? stripped by the time you come across them ? man they crush and shred billions of complete vehicle up here, no one ever strips them up here because no one ever rteally needs anything cuz none are worth fixing up except an occasional rarity, are always junk rusted out bad unrepairable trashed shape, so hum...

tradeoffs, heh

thanks

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I would take your 2wd shaft but my 4wd box is not in the best shape, leaks and has some slop to it.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Send me a pick. I might have one. Its the kind that has the tierod and then two TRE that look about the same right?

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Yeah im pretty sure i have that(its off an 81-88 6.5 blazer). Only prob is Its out at the farm(60mile round trip) and i wont be able to make it out there till monday at the soonest. But if I do have it, its yours for $5(gas) + S&H /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok, as long as the ballstud on the TRE is not worn sloppy smooth with no resistance/drag left in it, mine is sloppy loose worn out junk, good used would be great if is not worn out junk like mine is. you wil be able to tell before even attempting to remove it, just grab TRE and try to pull push the rod up and down vertically and see if any slop at all, or if it moves side to side way too easy,.

lemme know how much you have to have for it to get it her and such and ill try to get all the pennies together that i can for you, my zip is 62656 and parcel post shipping at post office wouldbe great, doesnt have to be priority or anything unless is same price or extremely close?

thanks!

10. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I like how you hi-jiacked my thread focker /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Hijacking is both an art and a science /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Sad thing is I still haven't gotten an answer for my question /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well I think it would be OK as long as you can make sure nothing inside has rusted from the water.

14. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Would I just pull the shaft and inspect it that way or would I have to fully dissasimble it?

15. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well better ask somebody else about the details, I really don't know anything about P/S boxes, I was just judging this from the nature of most gearboxes, which is that a little water won't hurt them, and even some rust is OK as long as it doesn't freeze anything up. I'd load it up with some rust-eater then some WD-40 before just flushing it out with P/S fluid. Like I said though I don't know squat about P/S boxes, I was just trying to help get the thread back on topic /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

rusty ball bearigns and shafts ball guides would be BAD thing, i woudl disassemble and insepct weorm gear ball guides and balls before using a potentially internally rusted box!

be careful....

lol @ hijacking, hahahaha

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I agree rusty bearings are bad news, but just rusty gears themselves would be OK...I don't know much about the internals of a P/S box though so don't listen to me /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i see that my new keyboard is worse than my old beat up one that was missing keys and such, humm,.... the old was was keyboard number about seven that ive goine through in over four years now, hum.,.

if you pulled pitman shaft out of a box and a bunch of water came out then uhmm id probably get aweay from it fast like

good luck

19. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Wll all the one I looked at, I could turn freely but it would shot a mixture of water and oil out of the hose outlets. Kinda looked like gear oil when water is mixxed in.

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would do some disassembly to be sure its ok.,

good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif