Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd steering shaft or box??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

looking for one of these to put on my k5 (for crossover) and I was wondering whats easier to install the whole 2wd box or just the sector shaft? and is there a write up any were since I zero experience w/ any steering box

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

the 2wd shaft isnt that hard but just swapping boxes is so much easier.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I could have a sector shaft switched out before you could even have one bolt out of the steering box.

Change the shaft.....much faster.

If you don't have a bolt on brace, get one before you install your crossover. A week after I installed my crossover, my steering box fell completely off the frame.

I've got them in stock, as does ORD. Whoever you get it from, just make sure you get it.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I agree with Tim. Shaft is the easiest swap. You could swap the steering shaft twice before you ever got the steering box off the frame let alone back on.

Harley

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll jump on this too, changing the shaft out took me a total of 15 minutes from one box to other:D

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

When replacing the shaft only, are there any adjustments? Isn't there a "lash"(?) setting between the shft and the pinion like gear in the box? I know there's an adjustment nut/stud thing on the outside. How do you set the new shaft up correctly?

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes the adjustment is the lock nut and screw there on top of the box

theres less work to do to swap the shaft out than the entire box but neither is difficult to do

still need pitman arm puller either way

leave box on frame and pull arm first then unbolt top cover and pull shaft out top of box with the cover and all

the only thing is that you risk seal leakage doing it this way

thats all

good luck

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I realize the shaft swap itself is easy and also easier than swapping a whole box but what about the adjustment? Can someone explain the actual adjustment procedure?

TIA

9. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

would like to know how to and what are the steps for taking the shaft out, I read R72K5 said but is there more to it

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

1. Remove pitman arm.
    2. Remove 4 bolts on top cover.
    3. Place drip pan below sector shaft.
    4. Gently tap shaft upwards.
    5. grab cover from the top and pull it out.

It really is that easy to remove the shaft. I would like to know more about how to adjust the lash though.

11. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

JUST for everyone's info...incase this comes up in a search:

Matt Hodges of West Texas Offroad says:

The adjuster stud and lock nut have to be adjusted tight enough that you don't have any slack in the steering wheel but loose enough that don't feel the steering bind in the center of the steering gears. It's an easy process for me to do but trying to explain it is a little hard.
    I don't even know where my book is that lists in/lbs ratings is anymore. I haven't used it in years. they aren't always right anyway and I have my own methods that work better.
    easiest way for me to tell you how to do it is to take the box off and tighten that adjuster stud a little at a time until while you turn the input shaft with a wrench from lock to lock. as it the adjuster stud goes in you will feel the steering get tight in the center of the steering arc or halfway between locks. you then want to back the adjuster stud off until you can't feel that tightness in the steering in the center. Then lock the nut down.
    hope this helps and not confuses.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

don't trust the inch/lbs rating. It is totally different depending on the lubrication of the item (warm, cold, dry, soaked, ect).

This was in an old post I replied to. It is how I have done 2 boxes so far with no problems (both DD's).

clicky

PS somebody dug like I did and copied and pasted :deal: :shame: <- blake :grin:

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I tried Tightening the adjuster but it only helped a little still have slop in the steering. Need a new box soon.

14. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have always adjusted them installed. Turn the wheel side to side and turn adjuster till you feel a little bind/resistance coming off center, then back off adjuster a hair till resistance is gone. You gotta have both front wheels in the air to feel the resistance. I do it this way cause its easier for me to tell where center is.