Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd suburban to 4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Apr 26, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a 2wd Suburban with a healthy 350 but a blown tranny. He asked me if we can take all my old 4x4 Chevy parts and use them to convert his Sub to 4wd. So that is my question: Can I practically convert a 2wd Sub to 4wd? Will it be bolt on and go or will there be custom/fab work to be done? I am just trying to judge the scope of this project before it even gets off the ground. Parts I have: 4wd steering box, 10b/14bsf matched gears, 700r4/208. Parts I need: front springs and driveshafts.

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I have been told that the tub on a 2wd is different from the 4x4 one. The tranny tunnel is smaller for the 2wd IIRC and would need to be cut to some degree.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yes it can be done. but much much easyer to switch frame and but 2" body lift in to clear the tub.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

and besides if the 2wd has barn doors and A/C you should give it to me anyway :haha: yeah I know :D

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you will not want to do it this way and about 10% of it will be fab custom as the frames between 4x4 and 2wd vary a little for certain things like lines and shocks and such

you will want to swap entire chassis/body over

its a huge project virtually everything will need swapped over, down to bare frames,

good luck