Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd Th350 into my 4wd truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've got a %&$#ed up Th350 in my truck, but we've got a junked-out old van here at my house with a th350 in it that has like 6000 miles on it. I've heard that I can just unbolt the tailshaft off of it and cut the output shaft to the proper length and be good to go. What I wanna know is, is there any truth to this statement... and if it is true... how do I go about cutting the output shaft?

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

In order for you to use a 2wd TH350 in your 4wd, you will need to do 2 things....Remove the tailshaft housing(easy) and swap in the TH350 4wd output shaft(not easy). The difference between the 2wd & 4wd output shaft is substantial. You can't just cut of the extra length, because you will have no splines left on the shaft.

You will need to disassemble both trannies to do this. It would almost be easier to rebuild your 4wd tranny. Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

If you've got more time than money it isn't all that hard to switch the output shafts. You would just have to remove all of the guts from both of the tranmissions /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    By the time you got all the suff out of the second one, you'd prolly have enough experience to put the good one back together. I managed to do it, and I'm dumb as a rock /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I've got a spare 4wd output shaft that I got out of a parts tranny I had sitting on a shelf in my barn. I wanted to avoid taking it apart because I tried to rebuild the one thats in my truck right now and it dosen't work. Of course I don't think its necessarily something that I did wrong, the case was pretty trashed and I had to put a ton of helicoils into it to get it to go back together. I just thought that I heard somewhere on here that I could just cut the shaft on the 2wd one and it would work... so much for wishfull thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

For a TH400 you can whack off the last 1/2" of the shaft, but not the 350!

sorry,
    andy

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What do use to cut the shaft with I have a tci prepped short tail shaft TH400 I bought it to put in my dually but I have a TH400/np205 setup the trans is fried I'd like to make my dually a 4x4 I have a 79 k-30 frame I can use I also have 2 talldecks that I want to use .....Just what I need....... another project /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif