Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd TH400 in a 89K5!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OL14BLAZ, Oct 17, 2002.

1. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

My very reliable 700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifis shifting hard and leaking like a siff. It was rebuilt about 14k ago, so I was told by the previous owner, but I won't to go ahead and install a TH400 np205 in there instead of putting another 700r4.

I want to know if I can use a 2wd TH400 or would I be better off to find one out of a 4wd. On the 2wd what would I have to change--would it be just the output shaft or anything else.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just the output shaft, but the whole thing has to come apart as I recall. (everything comes out the front) TH400's are extremely easy to work on IMO, so its not that big of a deal.

Not sure if its ever been proven if truck 400's were thicker than car 400's in the bellhousing areas, but the TH350's certainly were. Just another thing to consider.

3. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

The truck 400 is thicker for sure. It also carries the heavy duty aluminum 6 bolt dust cover and the "car" unit has a tin one.
    Then there is the "HD" case that has an even thicker bell and is easily distinguished by the HD mark cast into the case on the bell housing. It came in one ton cab and chassis and tow trucks and usually has the sought after straight cut planetary gears. The 4x4 output shafts are not hard to find.

4. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

If the 400 you're using has the short tailshaft, it will bolt right up to the 205 (if the 205 has the short 32 spline input). It's what I did. I am considering some kind of bracing whenever I get a Doubler.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know where to get a output shaft which would be compatable in making a 2wd 400 work infront of a transfer case? Thanks!

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Advanced Adapters has a kit to convert to bolt up to a t-case set up for a 700r4.