Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd TH400 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im swapping trannies in my 65 pickup. the one thats in there is the stock 65' th400. the one thats going in is a 1977 th400. they should both have the same spline count right? im pretty sure the torque converters are the same, not so sure if they switched spline count on the tailshaft

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've never heard of the splines on the output shaft changing for the yoke style output... but it should be easy to check. I don't think you can use a slip yoke output with a fixed yoke is the main thing (as there will be no provision for a retaining nut).

Do you still have the V6?

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

the v6 was swapped out for a 350 a long time ago.
    i just pulled the old tranny out. it has a slip yoke with a 1310 series joint i think.

the new tranny has a fixed yoke w/ a 1350 joint(i think)

can i swap tailshaft housing's and run the slipyoke on the fixed yoke tranny?

or maybe use a conversion 1350/1310 joint and keep the fixed yoke. this might work since its a two piece shaft with a slipshaft after the carrier bearing. i dont think the slipyoke is really needed,except maybe for when the engine/trans tweaks under load.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the output shaft is the same with the exception of the end of the shaft being drilled for a bolt on yoke. If you simply remove the bolt and washer you now have a slip yoke.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

awesome thanks :waytogo: