Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd to 4wd 3/4 ton big block burban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by GearHead, Jan 16, 2003.

1. GearHead

GearHead Registered Member

I have a 3/4 Ton Burban and it is 2wd. The body is cherry and the interior too, plus it has a 454 in it. I guess these are my reasons for wanting to keep it and convert it. I am thinking if I do the conversion in stages it will be easier for me (hard for me to go a week without driving it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Anyway I thought the first part that I would tackel would be putting in the front axle. I have not even seen a 4wd front end on a Suburban yet too see what is involved. But I wanted to ask if anyone knows weather or not the 2wd 3/4 Burban frame I have would have the holes for mounting up the spring purches for the leafs or will I have to weld them on? Oh it is an 1986 by the way.
    Thanks for the help. I hope to be a 4wd burban owner soon...

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Without seeing 2wd front frame parts, i have no idea on that part. What I do know is you will have to install a body lift in order for the transfer case to be able to clear the center hump in the body, on a 2wd it is alot lower than on a 4wd.

3. GearHead

Cool anyone know how much of a body lift I will need? I guess that would be the first project to do. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If i remember right, a 2" will work, 1" will not i know that.

5. GearHead

Sweet! I will start with that then move onto buying the parts I need to do the conversion.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

basically all you will need to finish the rest is a 4wd front end, tcase and adapter, front driveshaft, remove tailend of tranny to accept tcase. If i've missed anything, someone else will chime in.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the Performance Assessories 2" body lift. I believe Muddytazz put this on. I bought mine, just haven't had a chance to install it yet. I also bought the poly bushing kit from Energy Suspension. Paid 150 tax included out the door (& under table) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for both. Check to see if yours are still good. If so-so, then do this at the same time as you do the body lift to save you a bunch of trouble and work down the road. Good luck with the conversion. My buddy is a mechanic & he likes the challenge of doing custom work. One good thing with the 2wd converted to 4wd is the lower insurance, providing you don't tell them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i thought you could just use a center hump from a 4wd truck and avoid the whole body lift deal. i could be wrong though

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You could cut out the center humps from both vehicles and swap and weld it in if that is what he wants to do, its just that a body lift is easier.

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Can't you just use the crossmember from a 4x4? Wouldn't that lower the t-case automatically? Just wondering out loud...er typing kinda loudly anyway!?!?!?
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That will lower it a little bit, but not enough, if you compare the center hump on a 2wd and a 4wd, there is about a 3 to 4 inch difference in height.