Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd to 4wd... can i do it???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by superman6801, May 23, 2005.

1. superman6801

superman6801 Registered Member

:confused: I have a 73 thats two wheel drive and i want to make it four wheel drive just so i can lift it.. can it be done without killing my bank account.? the front on it now is not solid axel

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

no... go buy a 4wd truck.... it's FAR less damaging to your wallet... if you really want to use the truck you have, find a 4wd truck with a crap body, and swap your body on to it...

3. superman6801

superman6801 Registered Member

how hard is that to do?

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

go buy a 4x4, you will be far better off

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

if this is the only reason for looks get a 2wd lift kit, blocks or spring in the rear and new lifted control arm in the front. there cheap.

if you want it fwd.
    you have to swap the front frame section out for a 4wd one and fab mounts blah blah blah its a pain.

you will need to get a 4wd frame and swap on to it for a cheap(er) truck.

or if yours is nice sell it and find a nice 4wd and drive it

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not worth it...

I have a nice 79 C10 2wd--even though I have a 1973 K10 frame in my yard,and all the parts from my 74 K20 that I would need to convert it,I refuse to put myself thru that again!--been there,done that, F*** THAT!...its far too involved --its not impossible,just a lot more work than its worth... :screwy: :screwy:

The "easiest" way is to plop your truck on a 4x4 chassis..but the cab floor on a 2wd will require hacking or a body lift to clear the transfer case,among many other time consuming modifications...

I'd NEVER do another swap using the 2wd frame--its a real chore removing the old front suspension(motor has to come out),the spring hangers all must be removed from the 4x4,and you have to drill all the "new" holes in the 2wd frame to install them--and there are about 100 other minor differences that will need to be changed--in the end,all you have is a booty fab backyard conversion that usually does not compare with a factory 4x4...I'd sell my C10 and buy a 4x4 if thats what I really wanted or needed.. :crazy: