Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd to 4wd conversion

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Jul 11, 2004.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone has experience doing this or know someone who has? Always liked the 67-72 body styles and it seems the 2wd variety is more plentiful. I know of where there is a 71 2wd pickup for sale in good shape for a reasonable price, and I have a 77 4wd pickup which would make an excellent parts truck. Thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

It's a lot of work. The question comes up a lot. The dimensions on the '73 and up trucks are different than the 67-72 so don't expect a direct bolt on swap.

3. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i have done 4 swaps like that. 2-wheel drive trucks are usually in better shape. they don't get driven as much in winter.or taken up in the woods and bashed,well usually not! my current truck was a 2-wheel drive that had no rust and nice panels. seems like most 4x4's have no rockers or cab corners left.as for the swap thats easy. the 77 is a great donor truck, but just for the running gear. the frames are different wheelbase also. find a 71 or 72 frame.they use the same steering boxes and suspension as the 2nd gen did 67-70 didn't.

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! I was only planing to use the 77 for its drivetrain and parting the rest out. Good to know that the 71 & 72 has more interchangeabiliy than the earlier models. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif