Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd To 4wd T400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Apr 4, 2005.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to change the output shaft on a t400 from a 2wd to a 4wd. And what all is involved. (what new parts do I need besides a pump seal and 4wd shaft.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

If you're going to use a 205 t-case you may not need to do anything.

What case are you going to use? Have you measured how much the tailshaft sticks out of the TH400?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its involved....

The output shaft you need to put in from a 4WD tranny is the first part to go back in the empty case!--you have to take out everything in front of it!--which means you might as well have the tranny rebuilt while your in there..

.I havent done much more than fluid and filter changes on automatic trannys,other than pull and replace a bad one...I leave internal repairs to someone who has a the special tools and knows how to do it--to me an automatic tranny's internals look like an ailein from another world designed it!--I can understand the theory how it all works,but I dont think I could assemble one and have it work right-..I dont like the fact if one rubber seal gets damged,you wont have reverse,or some other problem--and I've heard its not easy to do without the right tools,and some experience..

I wasn't aware that some 2wd TH400's would bolt up to a NP205 case with no modifications if the shaft length is acceptable!---I wonder if thats true on a NP208 as well??--if it is,I might have to keep he TH400 shorttail I have from a 74 monte carlo that had a 454 for a spare for my 82 K20 diesel truck :thinking: I might have to drag it out of my shed and see if it will bolt up to the spare transfer case/adapter I have... :crazy:

4. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

This is going to a 32 spline 241. W/ the clocking ring and the tcase I have 1.5 inches of extra shaft and it is not splined that extra 1.5 inch. I was told you only had to replace the pump seal and the shaft itself but I dont know? It takes up to 3 inches in the t case plus .45 inches from the clocking ring.