Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd to 4wd?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big_Ugly_Diesel, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Big_Ugly_Diesel

Big_Ugly_Diesel Registered Member

I want to convert my 84 sub from two wheel drive to four wheel drive. I have heard all the holes all already in the frame, I would just have to grind off the rivets and bolt up the leaf spring mounts. If anyone has done this I would greatly appreciate the help before I get into a project I cannot finish.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd suggest crawling under a 4x4 and taking some frame measurements, then doing the same with your 2x4. I think you'll find that they aren't the same. [​IMG] Also, the transmission is different, plus you'd need to add the transfer case, the correct steering box, etc., etc. It's really much easier to just sell your 2WD and use the money towards a nice 4WD. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Big_Ugly_Diesel

I already have the two wheel drive sub and a four wheel drive blazer so I think I have all the parts I need ( steering box, trans etc.)

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So get out that measuring tape and see if the parts will fit! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Go for it. The hardest part that I can see would be the front crossmember. Anything is possible with GM.

Keep it simple <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album71>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album71</a>

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Has anyone done this? what happens to the spring pocket from the 2 wheel drive?
    I'm not saying it can't be done, anything can be done if you have the tools and enough beer[​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

7. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

The whole 2wd crossmember will unbolt taking the entire front suspension with it. Except for the idler arm wich will have to be unbolted seperately. You can even sell the front suspension settup to someone that would like disc brakes on there 2wd 63-70, there are a few looking for this settup.

Keep it simple <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album71>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album71</a>

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

LSNED.
    aren't the 2wd's a full frame?

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

9. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The frames are completely different and will require much custom fabrication to make it work. You either need to find a 4x4 burban frame to set your body on, or you need to sell your truck and buy a 4x4. IMHO

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I had looked into this when I had a 2wd pickup and it looked like it would require the whole front of a 4wd frame to be grafted on. Unless you really REALLY love this truck, it's not really worth the work IMO.
    On Furds it's real easy, but not on chevys [​IMG]

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Check over on Pirate, there is a thread about the same thing ( I think its in the Chevy section).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

frames are the same
    crossmembers are different
    get the naysayers to break out THEIR tape measures
    I run a 2WDR one ton frame using all 1/2 and 3/4 ton brackets
    **** all to it but to do it

13. Big_Ugly_Diesel

Gracius for the info. Sounds like I will just have to get off my lazy butt and do some measuring.

14. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I sure hope 77chev is right...

me and some friends have an 8 door suburban (yes, stretched like a limo) thats 2WD.. we have a K20 donor for parts, that project starts someday. maybe mid-'02.... anyhoo we were planning on at least SOME fabbing... if the frame rails are the same that will be a huge help.

mike

15. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

My suggestion would be if you know anyone in the car biz, have them keep an eye open at auctions for a rust bucket 4x4 Sub, around the same year as yours. Or look in the papers. They should be cheap, either way. Put your body on that frame, and sell the extra parts, engine etc.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton