Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd to 4x4 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoReGrEtS, Jul 6, 2006.

1. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

has any one on here converted one before? I have an 88 burbn and I'm sure the front k member is tweaked and the frame is straight sooo I'm thinking of converting it. its got 125k 454/400. new tranny and the motor runs great. what do you guys think? I should just fix it but I cant help wanting to change it. its a curse

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

When I get to doing mine, I'm going to try trimming down the susp. crossmember for diff clearance. That way (I hope) I can avoid having to replace it with the proper 4x4 engine cradel.

3. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I'd just replace the tweaked cross member and swap all the parts you want over, it's a ton of work and time to make this conversion and have it come out useable. (I've done it once, and will never do it again)

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I found this....

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/2wdto4wd.html

and this...

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63037

I don't really agree w/ everything they say but it's a start to your search. One of the main things was in the first post he said you'd need a "4wd transmission" I think that you wouldn't have any problems putting a different tail shaft in your tranny to bolt up to the new tc you'd have to get instead of the long tail shaft that goes to the driveshaft.

-Avery

5. NJBLZ

NJBLZ 1/2 ton status

I've seen it done before. The guy said it wasn't that hard, he had to make a some new holes in the frame. He is also an experienced welder/ fabricator. I have intentions of doing the same thing for my tow rig. I would want to have a complete donor vehicle or chassis parked right next to the project truck to make measuring and part swapping easier.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

me and a buddy just recently got done doing that on his 78 burban also with the 454/th400 it wasnt too bad. Id really rather not do it again but it was a good experence. Basicly you will need to put a difrent out put shaft in your tranny or do a divorce mounted case. Another thing is youl have to drill like 2" holes in the frame for the shackle hangers. Then the front spring mounts you can iether use original style and drill rivits and holes and whatnot or you can go with a crossmember style setup. Iether way reqires a fair bit of work if you have acces to fab equipment then the crossmember style is probly easyer. but anywho longstory short unless you are an experenced mechanic/ fabricater with access to a good set of fab tools ten its not quick or easy.

7. warrior454

warrior454 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I converted the 2whl blazer i got out of Texas last year into a 4x4 when i stripped down my rusted out frame and body bit of work but not hard to do
    heaviest part was the 2 wheel drive suspension to get rid of

8. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys!

I was thinkin of just 4 linking the front that way all I have to do is weld the tabs to the frame and axle (still need to do lots of math to get it right) then buy some used king coilovers, tons of them at race-dezert.com, then go with a divorced t/c that way I can keep the trans 2wd, axle I would need is a d44 so I can run crossover (2wd steering box). Im going to see if I can straightin the stuff up first but If I have to fix it with lots of money Id rather go 4x4

thanks for the help:bow:

Shawn

9. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

I've done two (73 C-10 and an 84 3/4 ton 'Burb) and neither were terribly difficult.

Having a donor 4x4 for parts is the most important thing you can have.

Both trucks needed to have the tranny tunnel "dimpled" (read: smacked with a bfh) to clear the transfer case, since 2wd's have a shorter tunnel than 4x4's do.