Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd to4wd

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2birds40, Apr 13, 2004.

1. 2birds40

2birds40 Registered Member

hi guys great site i searched and didn't find anything i have a 86 2wd pickup that i want to convert to 4wd what all do i need to do this other than the tcase axles driveshafts and i do i go about it also is a 67 frame the same as the 86

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

the frames are different. for the swap, you need (to do it right) trans from a 4x4 with Tcase, front axle, driveshafts and dont forget the steering gearbox from the4x4. you could also get a divorced Tcase,but thats the hard way (I speak from experience) your best bet is to find a wrecked 4x4 of similar vintage and take what you need, if you have any ??? feel free to contact me, i've bent many a wrench. Matt /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. 2birds40

thanks for the reply i have been looking for a donor truck but can't seem to find anything and the junkyards around here wont sell one so i will just have to scrounge all the parts individuly after i have them all is it just basically measure remeasure drill and bolt and i heard there was clearence issuses with headers and such is there any truth to this

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

In '86 there isnt really any difference between the 2wd and 4wd frames. Only thing different is which crossmembers were used for the front suspension. Finding a rusty parts truck should be easy in your area... Just post a wanted ad in your local newspaper/nickelads or whatever and you will probably find a line of people wanting to sell you a rusty 4x4 for under $500.

5. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hi guys great site i searched and didn't find anything i have a 86 2wd pickup that i want to convert to 4wd what all do i need to do this other than the tcase axles driveshafts and i do i go about it also is a 67 frame the same as the 86

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious. I can understand being "attatched" to your truck, but have you considered selling (or keeping it if you don't need the funds) and buy a similar 4WD? Seems like it would be more cost effective, especially when you figure the time (and $$) of finding parts, then doing the swap? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Either way, good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 2birds40

yeah that would be alot easier but then i would be changing the axles upgrading the motor,trans,tcase lifting it bigger tires etc. so why not do it to what i already have

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Touche! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Touche! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Well.....wonder how much of that he's not gonna have to buy anyway? That is not saying he couldn't find a rolling chassis that had a decent drivetrain. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

http://auto-rv.com/
    http://ustrader.com

Couple places besides here & Ebay to look. I'm not tryin to talk him into anything he doesn't wanna do, just seemed like the most $$ efficient way to me.

9. 2birds40

not being touche sorry if i sounded that way i already have the axles tranny tcase motor and tires just need a few small things and figured if i was going to be changing it all should just do it to what i already had yes i know it would be a direct bolt in on a 4x4 frame but then i would be pullig 2motors and doing a body swap so i figured a little fab work would be just as easy and i could say i really did build it all my self was just looking for a little insight from some people who have done this or similar thanks for all the replies

10. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not being touche sorry if i sounded that way i already have the axles tranny tcase motor and tires just need a few small things and figured if i was going to be changing it all should just do it to what i already had yes i know it would be a direct bolt in on a 4x4 frame but then i would be pullig 2motors and doing a body swap so i figured a little fab work would be just as easy and i could say i really did build it all my self was just looking for a little insight from some people who have done this or similar thanks for all the replies

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif ....wasn't aware you already had majority of the parts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

OR...you could just build another truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was going to "build up" an '83 I had, but the more I got into it, the more rust I found, and it was bad. The same time I was tearing into it, I was buying axles in the gear ratio I wanted, bought the tranny and t-case I wanted, steering column, etc., and then realized I was halfway to building my own truck!

Frame for $100 (with gas tank, brake and gas lines, and steering box) and a perfect body for $400, and I was on my way to a new truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sold the old one when this one was street worthy, and recouped most of the cost of building the "new" one. Just happened to fit into building a vehicle "my way" from the ground up, which turned out to be easier than trying to fix 30 other previous owners mistakes, and the ravages of time on the body of the original truck.

I know parts can sometimes be hard to find though...once you start looking though, you end up finding more than you need!

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

BTDT
    very easy
    I got every bracket and hanger for $100 in the wrecking yard

take the opportunity to either move the front shackle and/or use longer springs

13. 2birds40

could you explain a little more about moving the shackel wich direction and how much thanks guys i new i would get the info i needed and how long did it take you guys to do your swaps

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

what for? just wondering actually. i might wanna do something like this someday down the line too..sounds kinda neat

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the stock springs are negative arch
    so the shackle is designed to move forward on compression
    lift springs are positive arch
    shackle moves rearward on compression and hits the frame
    shackle angle is also wrong for positive arch springs
    search, if it is working, there is a ton of info in old posts on this subject
    shackle angle and length plays a HUGE role in ride quality and suspension travel
    they will be limiting straps unless you address them