Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD vs 4WD 14 Bolt FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Jul 30, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

So, other than the shock mounts, is there a difference? I noticed the one I picked up the other day has the shock mounts oposite of where they are on my other 14FF. Thanks.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no, unless it came out of a van, then the only differnce is 3" of length

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Any idea then why the shock brackets are in the oposite side of the axle. (And yes I'm lloking at it correctly.)

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Is it out of a 1 ton?

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

some of the 1 tons used different shock mounts.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Its probably a 1ton do the spring perches look to be in the same place as your other 14bolt? also what year 14bolt is it?

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

The spring perches seem to be about 3 inches closer than my other 1 ton axle. Does this mean it came from a dually? Also, can someone tell/show me the difference between a dually 14B & a SRW one so that I can tell. The guy that sold it to me said it was from a SRW 1 ton. Looks like he may have lied to me.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it is a 1 ton axle the shock mounts are going to be opposite of a 3/4 ton and the perch spacing would be 40 1/2" for a 1 ton axle and 42 1/2" on a 3/4 ton axle, also if it is from a 4WD the shock mounts will not hang below the axle tube like they do on a 2WD axle.

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

On my (apparently) 3/4 ton FF, the shock mounts are below the axle tube. The mounts on the one ton are also below. Does this mean the are both originally from 2WD vehicles? Also, how hard is it to relocate the rear springs perches to the needed width, or can I just pull the springs inward that 1" on each side?

Thanks.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, both axles are from 2WD vehicles. Depending on which style of spring perch you have it could be easy or hard to remove them. The stamped steel perch is much more friendly than the cast iron perches.

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Perches are cast iron.

So, could I grind them off them weld new perches on? If so, how hard is it to grind off? I guess I don't have anything else to do anyway. Besides, I only have $100 in it anyway.

Thanks.

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Perches are cast iron.

So, could I grind them off them weld new perches on? If so, how hard is it to grind off? I guess I don't have anything else to do anyway. Besides, I only have $100 in it anyway.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of us without a plasma cutter (me) you gotta grind'em off. Buy lots of grinding and cutting disks. I spent a good 6 hours grinding off the cast perches on my 14BFF. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif