Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2wd vs 4wd frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, May 10, 2003.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

How different is a 2wd frame from a 4wd one? I'm thinking of buying a 2wd crew cab dually and in the near future, would like to change it to 4wd.... Is the 2wd A arms just bolted to the frame? Can I remove everything and bolt spring hangers on and change to 4wd? Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

they are one in the same. all of the wholes are in the frame for the 4wd stuff, you jsut need to knock out the rivets that hold the 2wd stuff on and then bolt up all the 4wd hangers and such, should be a pretty straight forward swap.

-Scott

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I agree with SCOTT.
    BTDT

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, but I beg to differ on the differences between the frames, regardless of what MJ says or thinks.

If you take a look at the areas on the frame rails where the A-arms are fastened to the frame, the whole frame stamping is different to allow for the recesses and fitting of the A-arms. Even the shock mounts are different stampings. The area where the bumpstops are riveted to the frame are different, too.

Most of the crossmembers and brackets, etc. are different than the other. Such are the front crossmember under the radiator, tranny crossmember, rear spring hangers, front radiator cab mounts. Those on 2wd's are totally different than the 4wd mounts/members.

You can make the 2wd frame work by getting the correct mounts/members from a 4wd frame and fasten them to the other mounts/members. You will still need a large diameter hole saw to cut the big hole out for the front springs rear shackle bracket.

If it were me, I'd rather switch everything over to an original 4wd frame rather than trying to make a 2wd frame work. Just easier and faster IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

2wdr frames are not cracked and beat to hell like a 4x4 frame would be.
    what is the point of getting a 'new' frame and having to weld up a ton of cracks (trust me they are all cracked)?

a hole saw is real cheap and even Home Depot sells them.

front crossmember on a 4x4 accepts an antiswaybar, which almost no one uses anyway so no loss.

super easy swap.
    hardest part is measureing from the front spring mount to the front shackle location.
    as chevy put it in the wrong spot for lift springs here is your best opportunity to correct this oversight (I certainly wish I had done it)

$300cdn got me a 2wdr 1ton frame and every crossmember/spring mount etc AND I picked and choose which ones I wanted from the newest designs that chev used.
    cheapest/best mod you can do to a chev, all labour no cash required

6. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY CRAP!!! I can't believe you finally used a smilie!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

You guys are a hoot!
    Anywyas, I'm not lifting the truck, just wanting to change it to 4wd for better control in tuff spots, it is a tow rig, so I would need the sway bar, but I can change a crossmember! I agree with the frame swap idea, but around here, finding a 4wd frame for a Crew Cab is a pain the A$$! The truck I'm looking at is a 2wd Dually Crewcab and At some point I would like to go 4wd with it, but would love to do it the right way if yo know what I mean! Thanks for the input! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

By the way, Wess, when are we going to make MJ Orange???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    By the way, Wess, when are we going to make MJ Orange???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been trying for too long now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you are correct Wes, i will edit that out as I should be able to express my thoughts without resorting to childish little prefabbed images.

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    HOLY CRAP!!! I can't believe you finally used a smilie!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwah-hahaha !!!!

[ QUOTE ]
    you are correct Wes, i will edit that out

[/ QUOTE ]

That one did me in, dang near fell off my chair with that one.

Nice work....

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it were me, I'd rather switch everything over to an original 4wd frame rather than trying to make a 2wd frame work. Just easier and faster

[/ QUOTE ] Thats an excelent idea,Wes. I think the frames are very close, by eye-balling them. But, as Mj pointed out, the hanger locatoins are not indicated (as best as I can tell). This would be a perfect time to locate the hanger locations to where they may be better suited to "our" purposes. (Move 'em forward, or spread 'em out)

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    trust me they are all (refering to 4wd frames) cracked

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got two that aren't.
    Don't ask why.... they should be. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got two that aren't

[/ QUOTE ]