Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2WD vs. 4WD steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by funkycold, Apr 19, 2004.

1. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

Is the steering box from a 2WD have the same mounting holes as the 4WD box or is it different? I purchased a 2WD box and it has the 3 hole mount vs. the 4 hole mount on the 4WD box. Am I going to have to swap the shaft from one box to the other, or is there a particular year that has the 4 hole mounting as well. It that is the case, how much is involved in doing so? Any special tools or other parts that need to be replaced?
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Thanks for any info.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I just yesterday swapped the shaft out of a 2wd into my 4wd box for my crossover steering. Not hard at all to do. It is much easier to just drop the box down to do it though, at least on mine. The fan shroud and radiator were in the way of the 2 bolts and then the lines were in the way. My 4wd box in an 80 and there was 4 bolts, one of which was a
    Be-otch to get in

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

only manual boxes have three bolt holes, power boxes are all four bolt holes

power steering shafts will swap interchange 2wd to 4x4 form case to case, that is the difference between 2wd and 4x4 boxes anyways, soo..

good luck

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. I will take it apart and see how it goes.