Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2X3" Square Tube Cutting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Feb 2, 2006.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be making my own sliders shortly.

Q: What should I use to cut the square tube? I could pick up an abrasive wheel for my reciprocating saw our should I pick up a band saw or chop saw? I'd like to finish the ends at 45 degrees.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Chop saw

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

If you don't have a table saw or a radial arm saw, I say go with the sawzall or a grinder. A good cutoff wheel on a grinder gives you a little more control, but both will get the job done. Let us know how they turn out!

Al

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

did mine w/a chop saw and a grinder to cut a relief so i could bend the ends

5. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

chop saw would be the easiest. Altho a plasma or a torch would get it done too.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

How the heck do you put an abrasive wheel on the reciprocating saw??? :D

I'd go with a chop saw (pretty useful to own IMHO)...get a 14" if you can afford it. Cutting at angles will require a larger blade...and if you want to cut faster....you don't want to drop the blade in the middle of a long, flat part....starting the cut closer to the corner helps you to "punch through" faster and make a better cut.

Kind of hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean once you start cutting your own parts.

:usaflag:

7. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

you can get a ryobi 14" at home depot for like $140. Its what I have been usings for the past 8 months with out a prob.

8. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hell i use my 4" angle grinder to cut everything.. haha im poor but it works.. i've cut through 1/2" plate b4 with it...25bucks from home depot.

9. rustyear

rustyear Registered Member

this job was practically designed for a chop saw...the ryobi for a buck forty is a good deal, no question...i did the harbor freight thing, a 14 incher with 5 discs for under $90...a noisy bastard, but it does everything i want it to do and has lasted over 8 years so far, no problems. if you do decide to buy one, whichever brand it is, make sure you grab the handle and move it a few times before you buy...the handles on some saws are ridiculously uncomfortable, it makes you wonder wtf were they thinking