Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2x4-4x4 conversion

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Corey 78K5, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Would it be posible to convert my 96 C-1500 to 4WD I would deffinatly want a strait axel.
    Corey 78K5

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

yes you can, but it'll be a lot of work. an SFA on a 2wd might be easier to do than into a 4x4 IFS, but still costly. you need to figure out if you want coil or leaf springs, then go from there on brackets and such.

to do the swap, you'll need a tcase, front axle, the tranny will need work as well (i believe the 2wd output shaft is longer than the 4wd), shocks, front driveshaft, rear driveshaft mod, rear axle shafts(unless you want different lug patterns), floor shifter in the cab.

steering should be ok, since the 2wd steering box is used in an SFA swap. the arm is notched differently and allows front/back?? side/side?? motion.....i can't remember which [​IMG]

uhhm, thats it off the top of my head.....

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

'94 K1500

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Would a NV231-241 TC's from the same year truck mount to my tranny (NV3500 5speed) or would I need to swap in a new tranny alltogether and would it all work with my computer or would I be abel to reprogram it.
    I would probably use a 78-79 Ford Dana 44 converted to 6 lug and a 10 bolt rear so I could keep the ABS system and I'm not out for a whole lot of strenght I would probably just run 31's. All I want is for it to get around in the snow better since I just moved to Colorado last month and I dont want to buy another truck.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You need the 4x4 tranny along with the t-case. I would grab the drivshafts too.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>