Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2x4 to 4x4 conversion

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Fshmn62, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Fshmn62

Fshmn62 Newbie

Does anyone know or have info. on converting 71-72 3/4 ton 2x4 to 4x4, specifically if 73-87 3/4 ton spring hangers etc. would work. I would appreciate any info. or resource help. Thanks, Tim

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

did you see the tread i posted on 2x4 to 4x4 with coils? just another way to do it.

3. Fshmn62

Fshmn62 Newbie

Yes I saw your thread. I liked it but to much fabrication for me. I can handle hanging leaf spring setup. I have heard 73 thru 87 hangers will work just trying to gather as much info. as possible. Thanks for your response. Tim

4. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I have a 77 frame that I am using as parts to change a few things on my 72 blazer.As far as the rear goes the frames between the two gens seem to be the same width but the hangers hang out 1.25 inches on each side of the frame farther then 72 blazer does for a total 2.5 inches.. This is why it is required to move the perches when using 73to87 rear axles in a gen I. But for me I am using a 14 bolt from the 77 and 64 inch long springs from a 98 so both the original perches need to be changed and or moved. I am going to use a 2.5 flip kit from ORD for a 73 to 87 and then use the 77s factory front (of the rear)perch hanger to finish off the rear. In addition to the much longer spring,(64" compared to 52")To me it seems better to have the spring width wider in the rear and mount the shocks out board from the frame as is the 77 from the factory.As a small bonus I dont think ill have to mess with the axle perches on my 14 bolt(unless Ill need to adjust drive shaft angle)
    The front of the frames also seem to be the same width between gens.For my front I am using 4 inch lift springs from a 73-87. And because they are about 2.875 longer(by my measurement) I am just moving the front (of the front)factory hanger 3 inches farther up and then using zero lift block to move the axle back 1.5 inches.(As a note I could end up using the one inch back feature on the zero blocks instead leaving the axle about half inch farther forward then stock but Ill see when its all set up.)I thought about using and actually hammered off the front hangers from the 77 but it ended up easier to use my originals and trim them where they interfere with the radiator support mounts and move them up. This will require adding some extra steel for bracing that is lost from the original location.I also am going to incorporate the sway bar.
    If I was you I would get a doner frame from a 73to 87 with axles youd like to use(I got the whole truck minus drivetrain for 200 bucks but I had to cut up a dispose of the rest of the truck.(Sorry 77 lovers!!!) and measure and think measure and think! and make your old frame into (as far as the susp is concerned) a 73 to 87 4x4. I am no expert and I am also trying to learn more but it seems to me all the slight differences from the two gens(wider rear spring stance,longer front springs,sway bar,flatter arch of the rear spring) are improvements in ride and handling and travel. If you think it out and figure on some fabrication you will end up in my opinion a better then 67-72 suspension. A few things I can think of now to remember is to make sure you mark the center the tire where it needs to be because all references will be gone once you remove all your 2wd components and keep an eye on the way the front spring sits in the 73 to 87 as far as castor and camber is concerned.(height of the front, of the front spring perch in relationship to height of the rear,of the front spring perch). If you mimick this from the 73to87 frame it should steer like it should.

5. Fshmn62

Fshmn62 Newbie

Nick, Thanks for the info.