Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2x4 to 4x4 conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by midget, Mar 4, 2003.

1. midget

midget Registered Member

Does anyone have experience converting a 2x4 suburban to 4x4? The only reason i would mess with this is i have the 1ton drive train and you all know how easy it is to find a 2x4 suburban with a 454. I would appreciate any info on the difficulty/time.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, since you *can't* get a 454 with 4x4 from the factory (on Burbs, at least from 73-91, in any quantity ... if they exist they're extremely rare) ... this is not an unreasonable thing to try.

OTOH, it's not a weekend project, national magazine claims notwithstanding.

You'll need the entire front axle and suspension, steering components, transfercase (which means changing the tranny, or at least pulling it and switching tailshafts), crossmembers, and driveshafts. Front axle gear ratio must match the rear, of course.

And that's assuming that the frame on your truck closely resembles that of the donor vehicle, which I've heard conflicting reports on.

I'd say IF you had a 4x4 Blazer, truck or Burb handy ... 3/4 ton would be best, as the frames are more likely to be the same and you get the 8 lug pattern ... set both side by side, and get swapping.

-- A

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think it'd be much easier to swap the 454, and 1 ton axles into a 4x4 Burb or K5, then it'll be to convert a 2x4 into a 4x4.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i was about to say that....

kinda like choosing to switch vehicles aroudn a seat or move the seat

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone have experience converting a 2x4 suburban to 4x4? The only reason i would mess with this is i have the 1ton drive train and you all know how easy it is to find a 2x4 suburban with a 454. I would appreciate any info on the difficulty/time.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say go for it, the frame is the same ont he ones I saw, it's just diefferent crossmembers, so you will need that from the donor and it's a bolt on not riveted on, and the th400 output shaft is the same, you just remove the housing. It will not be a K case but it works if you don't want to mess with replacing the tranny.
    And you can keep the 2wd steering box and go cross over steer.
    I did something even harder so I cannot say don't do it.
    I converted a 2wd Van to 4wd and there were no parts to bolt on.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it'd be much easier to swap the 454, and 1 ton axles into a 4x4 Burb or K5, then it'll be to convert a 2x4 into a 4x4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some states get pissy about swapping motors around -- smog laws in Kalifornia, f'rinstance, are obnoxious, and often it's easier NOT to do anything funny. Yes, you could get an exemption or whatever -- but why put yourself on their radar, so to speak. I'd rather have a truck which matches exactly what they expect and just goes and passes with no argument /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif