Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2x4 to 4x4

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by slw, Mar 20, 2003.

1. slw

slw Newbie

Ihave a 91 2500 2x4 stick and want to make it a 4x4 auto who knows how please send details. stvwoolard@alltel.net : /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Offroad Unlimited probably has a solid axle kit for it, you just need to pick the trans you want, then you can start looking at what to do for a transfer case. Basically this is a big job. If you just want a 4wd, I'd recommend selling the truck and starting with a 4wd, if you want more of an upgraded 4wd, like with a solid axle, etc, doing the 2wd/4wd swap my make sense.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

looked into it and solid axle swapping a 2wd is more complex. My designs were complex invovling coil sprung setup or actually airbags was heavily considered but I didn't get the truck. The cross member under the engine on 2wd interferes with the axle unless you have a large lift. There is no kit to convert it as of yet. ORU is working on one but does not have one for sale.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

isnt the 91 an old style frame so it is just a matter of swapping the crossmembers?
    I paid a couple hun CDN for every crossmember and spring hanger I needed, and got to pick and choose

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

91 2500 is new body style. Some 91 3500s were old style but not all(I almost bought a 90 new style 3500).