Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3” Lift Block with no taper? (UPDATE)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Jan 31, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am looking for a 3” tall 2-1/2’ wide lift block with no taper. The reason I need one is because I have installed a shackle flip, and a 3” lift block on the rear of my truck. The tapered lift block along with the shackle flip is turning the pinion up too high, and creating an operating angle of 5-degrees difference between the rear diff pinion and the drive shaft. I have looked around, and no one seems to offer a 3” lift block with no taper. Has anybody ever heard of a 3” lift block with no taper? If I can get a set of 3” lift blocks with no taper, the pinion to drive shaft operating angle should be perfect, and well within the Spicer Corps 3-degrees of operating angle recommendation. I may have to get a custom set made. (I already know the arguments against lift blocks, so do not bother please.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The only 3" blocks I've ever seen on the market are made out of aluminum and are on the market for lowriders. Might have have to go with a custom set.

3. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

why not buy one and then have it machined flat?

4. 1-ton

The problem with that is the narrow side of a tapered 3" block is 2-1/2". I would have to machine it to the narrowest side, which would make it 2-1/2" tall. I do have a set of 4" tall blocks I might be able to do this with. I will have to look into it.

5. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

why not put the blocks in backwards to point the pinion down....i had to put my shims in backwards to fix my pinion when i put in my reverse shackles...putting the blocks in backwards should point the pinion around level, maybe up just a little...i would look into that....if not you may just get them machied flat as stated above

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

if it were me, id use solid blocks, not the hollow ones.

just personal opinion.

7. 1-ton

Damn! Why didn't I think of that. That should work...I cannot see any reason why not, unless anybody else can? Good thinking dude!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  8. oneofthefewbmx

it worked for my truck...you should be alright

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Well how much taper is on the block? It may go too far the other way if you turn it around. Plus, that will put a really big angle in the lower (rear) joint and it could bind when you brake or otherwise droop the rear axle.

I think 3* is still too much of a difference. I like to aim for 1*.

I have cut these blocks up before with good results. Just grab some standard 4" tapered blocks and use an angle grinder/cutoff wheel to cut off the part you don't need (or a bandsaw or whatever you have...) then clean up the bottom with a grinder or sander to make it flat. The only trick is to get a pin that sticks out from the bottom, but you can make one by cutting off the shoulder section of a bolt. I know Rough Country also makes these pins.

10. 1-ton

It should work perfect...according to the numbers I got using my angle finder. Currently, the pinion is pionting up to high. I measured the diff pinion to drive shaft operating angle, and it was 5 degrees. the lift block has a 4-degree taper, thus if I turn around the lift block, this should give me a 1-degree operating angle; which is well within the Spicer Corps recomendation of no more than 3-degrees of operating angle.

11. 1-ton

I turned my lift blocks around, and now the drive shaft operating agnle at the diff pinion is perfect. Thanks to user "oneofthefewbmx" for coming up with such a simple idea, I should have thought of myself in the first place.

12. oneofthefewbmx

no problem...if i can help w/ anything else, lemme know

13. prolinews

prolinews 1/2 ton status Premium Member

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Actually, turning a 4 degree block around will change the pinion by 8* rather than 4. You were 4 up and you will be going 4 the other way.