Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3.07 gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Mar 8, 2000.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok I think i figured out what gears I have now believe 3.07.. are these things any good?? I plan on running 35s for awhile until I get the thing upgraded a bit more then hopefully I will be runnin 40s, so what gears should I go with? Thanks

Scott
    78blazer

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I've got 3.07 gears with 33" tires, can you say sllllooooowwwwww of the line, or lots of accelleration to start from a dead stop, or foot on the floor to climb a hill.
    I wouldn't recommend 35's until you've got at least 4.10 gears, that is what I want to switch too ultimately.
    I get awful mileage then I started listening to the motor, unless I am going down hill or a long flat stretch
    my motor is stressing.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

3. Round up, you should have 3:08's in it !! No way on the 35's, I would say go for it if you had 3:73's maybe, but 3.08's you'll end up killing the drivetrain !

<font color=red>BigBurb<font color=red>[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

[​IMG] Good for highway driving with 33's or smaller! I had 3.08's and hated them with 35's. I have 4.56's now and am much happier. I also run the 4 speed granny low sm-465. Dont know what tranny you have.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Im on 3.73 with 36" tires, it does o.k. is the best I can say. I dont think 4.11 will do much, 4.56 is what I am going to try.
    HEY DEPUTY DOGGIE!!! Will you take $150 for that trac-loc or whatever it is that you have?

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Its a Lock Right for a 12 bolt. And nope, would do 200 and split shipping. Has new Power trax cross shaft and new thrust washers. In original box with all paperwork.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

7. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a temp. fix for my BLAZER. I have never fooled with the pumpkin before, so I need some coaching. I have a '79 full time with a 12 bolt rear/ 3.73. Will it fit right in without mods. or other parts? That is a "locker" right?
    I would probably like to pick it up, might be a couple weeks though.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

8. Blaze81

Blaze81 Registered Member

What's the problem? everyone whinning about 3.07's with 33" or 35" tires, I ran 35" tires with 2.56 gears for a while and had no problems! Oh did I mention that was with a 100,00 mile 305?

Just kidding..about it being no problem. I did have that setup while upgrading everything and can you say "Blazer wouldn't even get out of its own way??!!" I sure could. I now have 3.73 gears and a built 350 and wow what a difference! Happy wheelin'

Blaze81

9. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Like Burb said, forget the 35's until the gears are upgraded. I've got 4.56's in the boxes for my 35's. Here's a link to a gear/tire calc site: <font color=red>http://www.4lo.com/</font color=red>

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

10. wnderbra

wnderbra Registered Member

I had that setup for 3 years 3.08 and 36swampers not bad if you dont know any better but 60mph was tops with a 305.3.08 suck once you feel the difference Have 4.10's now because i tow a bass boat but the guy at the drivetrain warehouse said 4.56 would be better.Probably bigger for 40's so plan for it because the difference is worth gettin it right. I would say you could get away with what you have and 35's for now and it will be that much sweeter when you spend the greenback for gears(will feel like a new truck)That's what everybody told me but its true.My 83 has a 700r4 and with 3.08 it would'nt stay in overdrive with 4:10's I'm turnin the same rpm's in overdrive that I had in 3rd (An extra gear is always cool) Dont mean to repeat others but before I spent the money I wasnt sure if it would be worth it so any info my help Later

11. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I'm running 3.08's with 33's and they suck I couldn't imagine 36inch tires. I am in the process of upgrading to 4.10's and 36inch tires. I decided to swap rearends after talking to people on the board.

I got my 14bolt cheaper that the r/p set for the 10bolt. Installation is easier too.

Kent

1989 K5

12. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

You think these guys have it bad?? TRY HAVING 2.73's!!!!!
    I have 2.73's and 32x11.50x15's. It is not pretty, but the ol' girl manages. The only way you'll see 75 in this truck is if you have a full tank of 93 octane and an abandoned air strip. Thank the heavens you have 3.08's and enjoy the good life. What was GM thinking?!
    2.73's....geez.

DAN THE MAN '89 SILVER SILVERADO