Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3.08 to 4.10 gears

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tice, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Tice

Tice Registered Member

this is probably a bone head ?,so slap me if its stupid. i need to have my rear gears swaped from 3.08s to4.10s because ifound a front 44 and i realllly need lower gears. but i want to keep the open carrier cuz my better half is buying me a lock right locker for christmas. so heres the ? (finally)can i use the stock carrier or do i have to get a knew one? the locl 4x4 shop told me it would cost 169.00. that sounds a bit pricy. thanks for any info /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if i remember corectly you should not need one anything over 4:10's like 4:56's and you would but i dont think so with 4:10's if im wrong someone will point it out lol /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You can check with any reputable gear shop....Rieder, Randy's Ring & Pinion, etc. But I'm with Mudhog, I think the carriers are (4.10 and down) and (4.56 & up), so if you stay with 4.10's you should be able to re-use the existing carrier....

The "carrier break" isn't always the same for ALL axle types, so I might be thinking of 14-Bolt stuff and applying it to your D44/12-Bolt incorrectly.

As a last resort, they also make what's called a "Thick" ring gear, which will allow you to re-use an existing carier, even if you choose gears past the carrier break...I have not heard of any reason why a thick gear is undesireable (strength or otherwise) so that's always an option for you too.....

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think the main difference with the thick gears is price.but as far as ive heard the carrier break is 4.10 actually it will be 4.09 on a dana 44 but you can still use the same open carrier.im also asking for a locker for chrismas.imm going for the quick lok thow i think.looks like its pretty strong.

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

According to Randy's ring and pinion "D44 3.73 & down / 3.92 & up" I think the only problem with thick gears is c-clip interference, it requires grinding on the cross shaft. Although I have heard of strength issues before I can't say first hand from anyone I know.

6. Tice

Tice Registered Member

hey, thanks guys, im wiating for the gears from grant in yuma( ijust sent the money fri)i have another 12 bolt is there a way to tell if they will work? thanks for the info. tice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here are the carrier breaks for a 12 bolt according to Randy's R&P---
    12 Bolt Truck 2.73 & down / 2.76 to 3.42 / 3.73 & up #
    See also for griding etc. Randy's Tech