Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3.08 Vs 3.73

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Apr 25, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I found someoen selling some 10 and 12 bolt axels from a 83 k5, 3.73 gears, and they are in great shape, he only wants 250 for the pair of axels. Is that a good deal?

How much would an axel swamp run me? My mechanic charges $45/hour usually, and works quick, he swapped out my front suspension from blocks to new springs and shocks in under 4 hours.

What I really want to know, is it worth it, or should I keep my eye out for 3/4 ton axels with 4.10+ gears? I do alot of mudding, and it sucks right now with my tiny tires and gears, I have some 35x15.5 TSL/SX in my backyard right now that I want to put on my truck, can those 3.73 handle them or no?

2. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

250 isnt bad at all for the pair and since ur ubolts have been recently worked or are new and not a pain to take off and put on then i say go for it, 3.73s should work descent for 35s but dont expect to throw mud a mile for u must get in the throttle early to get em spinnin before u hit the hole

3. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

I'm running 3.08's and 35's, on 10 bolts...hah...It suprised me, its not a dog..which I thought it would be. It will spin them, pretty well I must say but I doubt it will hold up for long, I only did it so its driveable. But i say wait to find a 14bff and a dana44 8 lug, I found a set with 4.56's for 175 bucks. So i'd say pass that deal up.

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

3.73's are better suited to 33's then 35's, but ANYTHING is better then 3.08's. I bought a set of axles for $100 with 3.42's and swapped them for my 3.08's and noticed a big difference right away. I'm getting a set of 3.73's and plan to swap to them this summer when I have time.

Figure 2 hours for a rear end swap and 3 hours for the front, plus bleeding the brakes alignment etc. You might want to rebuild the brakes, replace the seals etc while you are at it.

If you don't know how to do the swap yourself, get another CK5'er to help you with it! You will learn alot about your truck and will be able to deal with most driveline problems on the trail when you are finished.

5. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I am going to help my mechanic do it, he said if I help him he will only charge $25/hour, he is figuring after everything, parts and labor, 300 tops.

6. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

you should be able to find a set of 3/4 ton axles for that price. i'd wait.

7. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with YZEATER on this. If you have to pay a mechanic to do the install then I'd wait until you get a set of 3/4 tons. May as well only spend the money once.