Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3:1 kit for 203???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Mar 14, 2006.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't someone make a 3:1 kit for the 203 box? I thought I had seen it somewhere? :confused:

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know about a "kit"....since the 3:1 gear requires machining and rewelding the case, but WMS (Wagoner Machine) used to make that product until recently.

Word is that they are out of business for good.

3. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

figures it'd be WMS. But anyway, this was for the whole case, not just the range box? So you couldn't (in theory) use the Lo-Max 3:1 for the 205 with a 3:1 for the 203 in a doubler to get a 9:1 t-case I guess.....??

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

You could do that ( assuming you found a used WMS range box ) but that would be an amazing amount of gear . Might not be much need for such slow going but than that would seem to be one of the strongest set ups with that much gear.

Tom

5. Greg72

There are lots of options out there now. I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish....

A crawl ratio takes all the gearing into account....everything from the transmission to the rear axle gearset. Sometimes what "seems" like an overkill ratio in a reduction box isn't nearly as impressive if your 1st gear is something tall (like 2.66 in a manual tranny :wink1: ) or if the rear axle gears are only 3.73s....

The "holy grail" is being able to find a combination that allows you to crawl offroad, but still allows you to drive with decent highway RPMs when you need to... what's really nice about these deep rangeboxes now, is that you CAN use a 3.73 or 4.10 axle gear (which is stronger than 5.13s) and still crawl well. Not having to re-gear axles can save you enough $$$ to offset some of the costs of those deeper crawl boxes out there.

In fact, I'm seriously considering yanking out the NP205 in my '72 and swapping in a STAK 5.44:1 box with a TH400 and calling it good. Even with my existing 4.10s it will be a decent crawler and MUCH better than it is currently.

I've built a TON of spreadsheets to explore all the gearing options out there. Sometimes it's easier to not chase after an "exotic & expensive" solution....and the more you play around with the various gearing options and products, the easier it is to find alternative combinations that do the same thing more simply and cheaply.

:usaflag:

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

My first plan ( when I decided to get more gear in the cases ) was to run 3.73's for the ease of highway/trail gearing but than this addiction started flaring up stronger and stronger until I was shaking like a crack whore in need of a fix........and than I decided on 5.86's Ha ,ha.
    I did keep a set of 4.56's just incase one day I do decide that more highway time is the norm. The lesser axle gearing with maximum case gearing is a great idea !

Tom

7. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I'll be running 4:11's in my one tons. But being this is the Northeast I was looking for a little more crawl ratio when hitting the big rocks. Plus I use automatics, so I loose a little there.

I was hoping that this was a mod to the range box of the 203. Plus it's be much cooler than any heep running a "big" 4:1 Atlas case. :haha:

8. Greg72

Are you planning to go to the spring event in Paragon?? VTBlazer and I were talking about it (In May IIRC)....maybe we'd see you there???

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

There's another consideration to the whole "gearing" scheme not mentioned yet.... I think it's smart to set up a system that doesn't have any huge "gaps" in the middle of it....

For example, consider a single transfer case rig w/ a 4.3 Atlas and 4.10 gears. You got hi-way and you got crawl - but you got nuthin' for dunes or hill climbs that require wheel speed. 1st gear in Hi-range is too high / 3rd gear in Low-range is too low.

Based on this, I think the smart way to use a 3:1 would not be to have 2 of them, but only 1 in either the 203 or 205, so that more "intermediate" combos are available..... :thinking:

BTW, I did do what Greg said here as my best crawler uses 3.73 geared axles and still has >200:1 crawl ratio.

Marv

10. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Greg72 what is the "official" torque converter ratio for a TH400 when calculating crawl? I have head a couple different things , all around 2.0.

Also are you using stock 1,2 and D, or are there some aftermarket gears in there?

Jeff

11. Greg72

2.48:1 is the stock TH400 ratio. I use a simple 2X multiplier for automatics... it depends on how low your converter "stalls", but as long as you are under the stall speed, it will slip and give you something quite a bit deeper than the 2.48:1 ratio...

I haven't swapped in the TH400 yet, but all the gears are stock ratios.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

This is why I would love to do a doubler with a 241 and a 205 or a 203. I was originally thinking a 203 into a 241. Then NWF started talking about cutting the 241 down to a klune-v like size into a 205. I guess that project has stalled, though.

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what is the actual ratio for the doubler? its like 4:1 right? im thinking this is a possibility since i want to get rid of my 208. if i can find a cheap 205 and 203 ill prolly do it. im going to need new driveshafts anyways.

14. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

There's little Dunes here in New England. But there is some areas on Cape Cod National Seashore. And snow wheeling is similar. You do raise good points Marv. However the novelty of it is killing me.

Greg it's unlikely that I'll make Paragon this year. But I'd definately love to go next year.