Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4-1 ton axles/brake questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, May 30, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, an '83 single wheel 1 ton. Dana 60, 70, 14B, what would it, or could it have? Friend has one and thinks its not a 14B. It seems kinda difficult, there appear to have been many axles used, but I'm not sure when GM went from one axle to another, or under which vehicles, or what. I *thought* it would be one of those things such as "all 1/2 tons got 10 bolts after '81" or whatever, but it doesn't appear to be. I checked the axle ID page here, but it doesn't break it down specifically for years. Could a one ton, depending on weight and other factors, come with either a 14b, Dana 60, 70, etc some years?

Second question. 1974 3/4 ton front axle. All the same size rotors, or different size brakes in some cases? I noticed in my '85/86 parts manual that *some* 3/4 tons shared brake components or hub components, (or something) with the D60 front end (3/4 tons with RPO's JB7 and JD7 apparently) but not sure if the same held true in '74...want to buy rotors for my dads 3/4 ton '74, (disk brake conversion) but kinda want to surprise him with them...

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

As far as I know you could only get the D60 inthe front in that year, but some had come with 14 bolts or D70's in the rear...

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am not sure on the D60 or D70 but the tell tale sign of a 14bff is the removable pinion support. The 6 bolts on the front side of the differential makes it a 14bff.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No way is it a D60 unless someone swapped it in. To my knowledge (and experience) it will be a C14FF for all SRW and chassis cabs. All dually trucks (fleet side truck bed with fenders sticking out) got the D70.

On the brakes, to my knowledge, there are no common parts between K20 and K30 front brakes in those years. But, seems like I recall that there were some earlier K30s produced with D44 fronts? Not sure what your parts book could mean. What parts does it say are common?

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Checked in my '77 chevy service manual and for a 3/4 ton 4x4 the front brakes stay the same for the base brakes or the heavy duty brakes only the rears change. For '77 the 1 ton is different. But I think that's cause they went to the D60 in '77 for the 1 tons.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll look again next time I've got the book open..it's the '85-86 GM service parts illustrated manual. I saw the "some K20, and K30 models" on the page with the front D60, and the RPO codes, and my mind started racing... "front D60's in some 85/86 K20's???" But after I re-read the heading for the page, I assumed it was probably just brake, steering, or some hub components that interchanged.

The two RPO's mentioned for the 3/4 ton, (on that D60 page) are both for brakes, hence I assume some 3/4 tons shared some brake components...but the page was showing steering and brake components, no hubs IIRC (though thats what I was looking for) so it could be any number of parts.