Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 Burb - broken front shock mount @ the axle??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Dec 4, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Hey all-

What do you suppose would cause the bracket to just BREAK like this?

[​IMG]

I was driving to work today, and noticed when I stopped the Burb wobbled side to side... I thought it was just me... but when I got to work I noticed the shocks had broken the bracket on the axle. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've had some vibration in my truck since day one... Would it make sense that my vibe is on this corner? I mean, what the heck else makes a factory shock bracket snap in the middle???

Lost and confused as normal...

-Dan

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifdayum did ya jump it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif not sure though

3. Sorry man, that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have the same year Sub. It looks like you have the quad shock front and the way they attach at that one point may have over stressed it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Other than that, I have no idea.

Mat

4. KRAZIE87K5

No way I jumped it, this truck is a total DD tow rig. This happened on FLAT HIGHWAY. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Did the factory ever mount the dual shocks differently? The other side had been welded in the past... I always wondered why.... now I know...

Could something be wrong with the front axle that causes it to vibrate or something crazy to shear the shock mounts like this? I really can't figure how such a thing could happen...

-Dan

5. I dont think they were ever mounted a different way. My 89Sub has the single front and I like it much better than the quad. My 90 Sub had the quad and it was really stiff.

Mat

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

From the pic it lookslike it was cracked for quite some time.

A friend of mine had the same problem on his 88 burb. He had to have both rewelded and beefed up because the factory setup just isn't strong enough for stiff twin shocks. It works OK wit hsoft shocks but I guess he was told that the stiffer shocks will stress it out too much. On his before it broke we noticed that there was a small gap right at the top of the mount (where it mounts to the axle tube) kinda like a little bit of each side had been cut out. I guess this allows for some kind of leverage action to take place on the rest of the mount and eventually they can break like yours and his did.

I'd suggest getting aftermarket HD tabs welded in there rather than having the factory units repaired.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is a common problem with GM front shock mounts. Confer makes a real nice set of replacement brackets. I have a set I would be willing to sell if you want.

8. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    From the pic it lookslike it was cracked for quite some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I PROMISE, this morning before it rained, the break was CLEAN. Today it rained, and since we already have salt on the roads here in IL, the clean break RUSTED quickly. I'm not too worried though, I'm sure it will clean up just fine before I weld and strengthen it.

-Dan

9. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    That is a common problem with GM front shock mounts. Confer makes a real nice set of replacement brackets. I have a set I would be willing to sell if you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pics???

-Dan

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is it impossible to say that the shocks may be too long and may have bottomed out?

Somehow I see them breaking the top mount easier than the bottom, though.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, here is a pic of the bracket kit. The brackets are made of 3/16" plate steel and they are much better than original because they give you 3 brackets per side so you have support on both sides of both shocks. [​IMG]

12. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I agree with Tim, (did I really say that /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

By looking at the picture I would think the shocks have been bottomed out. Could have been from before you owned it.

13. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

not to sound like an a$$
    but I would say dual procraps maybe ?
    I do agree with others the shocks may be too long.

14. KRAZIE87K5

They were on the truck when I bought it... can I just change to a single shock? Do I need to get something different to make up for dropping down to only 1 shock?

-Dan

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    They were on the truck when I bought it... can I just change to a single shock? Do I need to get something different to make up for dropping down to only 1 shock?

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Just put one shock on it.