Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

3/4 Disc Diesel Master Cylinder?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by OFFRDK5, Apr 24, 2003.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK. Looking to upgrade my rear axle from drums to discs.

I have heard some stuff about neeing a bigger master cylinder because fo the dics and being 3/4 ton and all.

Anyone done this upgrade and did you need to get a new bigger master cylinder. Do you have any part numbers of the ones you bought? Anything that I should know before doing this upgrade?

Thanks
    OFFRDK5

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

tRusty has 3/4-ton discs on his K5. He used a 1-ton master cylinder and hydroboost. Don't think he used an adjustable PV either. Maybe PM him... or he may chime in /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There isn't much more to add...C30 master and hydro boost system and rear discs (originally 3/4 ton 10 bolt stuff)

Stops nicely without premature lock-up in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

4. OFFRDK5

Doesn't the Diesel already have hydroboot on it? I noticed you used a master from a 4x2? Is there a difference there?
    Thanks

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know if there were differences in the hydro-boost systems, but my donor was an 83 C30 pick-up. I tried to use my half ton master with the hydro boost but it wouldn't fit so I used the C30's master as well. As far as I can tell the front calipers on the C30 look to be almost identical to the D60 calipers...so I don't think there would be any difference between the C30 master and the K30 master.

Rene

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't the Diesel already have hydroboot on it? I noticed you used a master from a 4x2? Is there a difference there?
    Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

He put the diesel in his truck it was a gas engined truck so he didn't have the hydraboost. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. OFFRDK5

Duh!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I shouda known that!! Too many hours of work!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif